Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the closet

Replacing the closet

In a stroke of genius about 15 years ago we decided to remove the closet in our smallest bedroom and turn it into a den. Now, as we ready the house for sale, the wisdom of that choice becomes evident, hence the replacement.

I could just bang up a 2x4 wall, slap up some Sheetrock and a sliding door, but that would not be in keeping with the rest of the house, nearly every room has some form of custom built in.

Here is the space that was once occupied by the closet.

And the plan for the replacement

I decided to build it from pre finished maple ply. This saves a lot of time on the interior finishing. The face frame, drawers and door frames will be painted maple with mdf panels and there will be a frame and panel end, painted as well. Around here the pre finished ply is only about $15 more than the better quality ply available from Lowe's. The pre finished are also larger by 1/2" on each dimension.

First job is to move everything around in the shop to accommodate the cutting of the large panels. That means calling the router table into service as an out feed support as well as the workbench. Note the aux fence clamped the the bench. This helps keep the cut straight until I can get more bearing on the ts fence.

Running over to woodcraft today to pick up some plywood screws so I can assemble the box later this week.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I will be watching this with interest. I too find traditional closets to be more junk gathering space than actual clothing holders. Besides, I would rather look at a nice armoire than a pair of sliding doors anyway. Cool tip on the auxiliary stabilizer to help guide the long panels.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I've kind of wanted to do a set of built ins for our closet since we moved to this house (~9 years ago.. hah) but haven't gotten motivated thus far. Will be interesting to see what you do here for ideas..

Replacing the closet

Over the past few days I managed to complete the box and then got it installed this morning. Boy is this thing heavy! Had to set it up on the base two or three times to make sure everything fit well. For the sharp-eyed among you, yes the wall on the left is out of plum by nearly 7/16 of an inch.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    ...For the sharp-eyed among you, yes the wall on the left is out of plum by nearly 7/16 of an inch...
    Thank goodness for molding, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, I was so proud of myself. I got the face frame together, scribed it and got a good fit, sanded it all down and painted. Looked great. Except.... There was this nagging feeling that I had forgotten something....

Doh! I forgot to put the rail in between the drawers! Excuse me for a few minutes, I need to go bang my head against a wall. I think something might have come loose up there.

www.wrworkshop.com

Another project derailed by advancing years

Oops, oh well, probably an easy fix at least.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Oh don't feel bad that's a story of my life. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

All better!

www.wrworkshop.com