Some Recent Updates

Bill Arnold

Staff member
My Shapeoko2 CNC is becoming more of a hybrid as I go along. It is now best described as an SO2/OpenBuilds/XCarve hybrid. Which means it's getting even better!

I had decided to update to a DWP611 router in place of the 300W 48VDC spindle that came with the SO2 to help speed up my carves a bit. I balked at the cost of the extruded mount from Inventables, so I designed my own and cut it with the DC spindle before doing the swap. Around the time I was finalizing this update, Inventable placed the XCarve SO2 update kit on a Black Friday markdown that was all the enticement I needed to buy it. That gave me the new extruded gantry motor mount that is all one piece rather than a conglomeration of spacers, bolts and nuts. The old assembly worked pretty well, but had some very slight movement as one would expect. The new gantry mount and 611 router has allowed me to boost my feed rates from the 30-40 range to 60-80ipm and even to 100ipm for etching. All of those numbers are for various woods.

SO2_XC_a.jpgSO2_XC_b.jpg

The update kit also included new long axis motor mounts that make it easier to maintain and clean the system.

SO2_XC_c.jpg

Here's a comparison of the new gantry motor mount with the old.

SO2_XC_GantryExt_a.jpgCNC_Bld_0005.jpg

The SO2 update kit was normally priced at $200 and was marked down to $100 for Black Friday. In addition, with a purchase of at least $50, you got a $50 certificate to spend in their store after the Black Friday sale was over. Made for a good deal overall.

Wow, those speed improvements are impressive. I take it that you have the same motor on the gantry, just different mount right? Are you getting any flex in the X axis with the extra weight of the router?

Wow, those speed improvements are impressive. I take it that you have the same motor on the gantry, just different mount right? Are you getting any flex in the X axis with the extra weight of the router?

I built my system with NEMA23 steppers on all axes. At least that was the intent but Inventables didn't have a NEMA23 mount for the Z axis at that time; that's where OpenBuilds came into the picture with a mounting plate and pulley system. I also got most of the parts to update to 9mm belts from OB.

There's a small amount of flex if I grab it with both hands. I haven't noticed a problem on any cuts yet, but I still plan to be somewhat conservative. I might have beefed up my machine but it's still a hobby unit.