Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You Want Me To Do What.....?

You Want Me To Do What.....?

So a customer calls me....

Customer: "We have this desk at the office, it's Oak or something, do you think you could cut 2" off the legs?"
    Me: Shorten some desk legs, yeah, should be possible....
    Customer: Yeah the desk is kind of too high for the person using it, a couple of inches off the legs should solve the problem.
    Me: "Do you have a picture?"
    Customer: Sure do, sending them now....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball&claw1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	94101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ball&claw2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	94102

Me: ........

I've expressed my reluctance to butcher this fine looking desk, and I've taken a meeting tomorrow, going to have a look, at least it is close by.

Other solutions.... like a cushion, or a taller chair?

Could be a customer worth a bit of work, so I'll have to be diplomatic, but in the end if they will pay me and they want it done..... I feel dirty already.... LOL

Yikes!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Oh, man! that would be a crime...best wishes for a reasonable solution.

They just want you to make new, shorter legs to match the piece....a test of your carving skills

I guess if they have money and the desire to spend it you could look to do a more elegant solution and perhaps have new shorter legs made. Speaking for myself I sit on a solid surface at my desk, no cushion thats what God gave me a tush for. It helps with all sorts i have found. So adding a cushion for height adjustment would be a no no to me. Each to their own. But i have never been a fan of ball and claw so i would have no problem cutting those feet off myself. If the piece has some sentimental attachment to them perhaps they would spring for new legs that could be made shorter but then the piece will look real odd. If no attachment offer to build them a more fit for purpose custom desk, after all this is a business proposition and you making a house call that needs to have revenue attached to it.
    cheers

If the problem is that the person has to dangle their legs, then maybe I could make a foot rest box the sits on the floor, and we could raise the chair....?

We shall see tomorrow, could be a new big deep pocket client, so I'll have to see what is what
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looking at it, I would think the proper way to do it would be to remove the legs from under the carcass, and cut 2" off the top. It would be a shame to do, however. Perhaps you could suggest that shortening the legs will reduce the value of the desk should they ever want to sell it. A taller chair and a foot rest might be a better idea. You could make them a matching foot rest.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    If the problem is that the person has to dangle their legs, then maybe I could make a foot rest box the sits on the floor, and we could raise the chair....?

We shall see tomorrow, could be a new big deep pocket client, so I'll have to see what is what
    Thet's whut ah sayed.

I finished typing that about 15 minutes ago, but was interrupted so you snuck in first, Stu.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Ditto on the taller chair and footrest! It would be a crime to hack up the desk!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

WOW - I would refuse to do it, but you need to make the customer happy.

Save what you cut off - some day you may need to reattach them.