Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Jaw chuck runout

4 Jaw chuck runout

I just got one of these for my custom lathe I just built and noticed that there is quite a bit of runout on the jaws, the chuck body spins true but the jaws are obviously not true. I know that the jaws are only round at a certain opening and that is not what I'm talking about. If I chuck up a shaft it has very visible runout. Ill have to measure it but I just wanted to know what to expect from something like this and if I should return it to grizzly/amazon. Ill also have to get some pics of the new lathe.

http://grizzly.com/products/4-Jaw-Ch...-X-8-TPI/H7820

Is it assembled correctly? Each jaw has a number. There is a corresponding number on the chuck body.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I measured runout with a trued shaft in the jaws and got about 0.020". I measured the chuck body itself and got 0.002"

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Is it assembled correctly? Each jaw has a number. There is a corresponding number on the chuck body.
    The chuck came assembled and there is a roll pin in there chuck body to keep the jaws from coming out(like they would on a metal lathe scroll chuck). So yes it should be assembled correctly, if the jaws were in the wrong slot then there would be something like 0.300 of runout.

Even for wood .020 sounds like a bit much.

There is a number in the manual to call if you notice damage. It sounds like something wrong to me. Try calling Grizzly.

I tried to call, but they were closed already, have to wait till tomorrow

I'd send it back. That much runout would be unacceptable to me.

Can you post a link to the chuck in question?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Only some possibilities...
    Even though it came assembled, with Nova they tell you to scroll with the jaws about 1/2 turn loose. The jaws should self align when scrolled in tight and then you give the jaw screws the final tightening. As far as the pin to keep the jaws from coming out, with Nova the pin is to keep the jaw slides from coming out. The jaws can still be installed to the jaw slides improperly (even from the factory).

Did the insert/adapter come pre installed? This can cause a lot of problems also.
    I assume you are measuring the run out on the jaw and not the run out on the shaft itself.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

I'm not an engineer or machinist, but sounds to me like it needs to go back. I don't have any personal experience with this chuck. For most of my work I use a Nova Super 2. The other chucks I use are "stick chucks" from Woodcraft by Woodriver. They are good, solid chucks that I use for my cole jaw setups. One is the 8" and the other is the 16". I tried one from another source and it was a piece of junk. I am just smart enough to know if it is working right or not they do. I'd tell Grizzly to send you a shipping label and send it back.

Inserting jaws properly can be a bear. Double check the numbers to see if they were put in the right slots by the factory. You won't hurt anything taking them out and reinserting then trying again. I have a three jaw that lines up properly when I insert the jaws only about once in twenty tries. (BTW, a three-jaw is no way designed for using with wood.) If you can't get it right, do consider sending back to Grizzly.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire