Thread: Cherry Oops

Cherry Oops

Long time since I have posted due to lots of reasons but have a situation with a gift made for my wife and thought this forum has the most knowledgeable people I that I could ask for a solution. I made a box that is shaped like a book with a lid which opens. The lid is cherry and the box is maple. She left the box in a room in our house which gets lots of sun. However, she put some round object on top of the box and after a period she moved the round object and found that the majority of the lid had been changed to a warm amber, but where the round object sat on the lid was a much lighter colored circle. I used a shellac finish and the color difference is not in the finish (didn't think I would be that lucky). Can the lid be sanded to even out the color and start over? -- Sorry, didn't have my phone with me last night to get a picture.
    Roger from Missouri

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you always got!

Roger, You could sand it out, but the circle would probably disappear with a few days in the sun.

I'm with Ted. Sand off the finish and put it in the sun...should balance out eventually. Or maybe an opportunity for an inlaid circle of a contrasting wood?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I'm even more with Ted, set it in the sun for a few days/weeks and don't sand it out and see if it normalizes

What Ryan said. Leave the finish. Put it in sun for a few days. You will be surprised. The magic of cherry.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Thanks to all the responses. Jeff, she had already suggested putting some sort of circular medallion on the circle. I figured I would get some opinions first before I jumped into causing myself more work. Now if we only had some sun in northwest Missouri!
    Roger from Missouri

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you always got!

i would say leave the finish, cover the non faded areas, leave in the sun to even out. oh yeah, and take the cannoli.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Hehe, I figured that was sunny side up compared to the grey northwest

You can also get the same effect with a UV light. And there's always summer if you're not in a hurry