The great debate...

Debates are wonderful things kept in context. Ford/Chevy/Dodge/foreign Pickup vs car Bumper hitch vs gooseneck/fifth wheel hitch Crossbows vs compound vs recurve vs long bows Smooth bore vs rifled barrels Hand tools vs power tools vs cmc

Skill is still required to create a quality end product. Too many people with to much time on their hands and meddling in other people's affairs. If you don't like how it was produced, vote with your pocket book and either buy it or don' buy it (the end product and/or the tool). Don't condemn anyone for their choice of equipment/medium. Hope everyone is having a great new year and it is all they want it to be.

Hey, there's been some great dialog going on with this one.

I don't have an artistic bone in my body, so being able to carve out a nice embellishment for a project is a treat for me. The use of computers and software can be an art form all it's own doing layout and figuring out processes to make something out of a piece of scrap material.

I'm in the "it's just a tool" camp. Sometimes using it is over kill, others it's the most accurate and fastest way to get it done. I'm still working towards getting it where I can mass produce anything with it, mostly due to the lack of a project that requires it and I want to invest time in. Projects that I use it on has been only one piece of the puzzle and I use other machines/tools for the rest.

Isn't it amazing how many great debates are held over topics that are totally trivial? The good news is that many of them eventually morph into important cultural topics that affect the lives of us all .... I'd take Ginger.

Well, just new here, but already I find the same wonderful talent here as in most other forums and that is the ability to hyjack a thread. Goodness I can tell that I am getting old, I had to look up the pictures of the cast of Gilligans Island and still can't come to a decision. But back to the original question about CNC or not? Do any of us still use as the main tool a treddle lathe or just a handsaw as the main tool to use. If not, we are all conformists to one degree or another.

Well, just new here, but already I find the same wonderful talent here as in most other forums and that is the ability to hyjack a thread. Goodness I can tell that I am getting old, I had to look up the pictures of the cast of Gilligans Island and still can't come to a decision. But back to the original question about CNC or not? Do any of us still use as the main tool a treddle lathe or just a handsaw as the main tool to use. If not, we are all conformists to one degree or another.

I like that.

To go back a bit further maybe we need to talk really sharp rocks - obsidian. Is anybody a REAL knuckle dragger?

Perhaps - hand made is really by hand, fingernails included.

To go back a bit further maybe we need to talk really sharp rocks - obsidian. Is anybody a REAL knuckle dragger?

Very rough experiments indicate that it works better than you might think. I couldn't get ahold obsidian, but even basalt chips up into a mediocre axe that worked reasonably well once you ground the edge a bit (maybe better than obsidian as its less fragile). One of the guys who frequents a facebook group I'm on has been experimenting with beaver tooth and moose rib chisels, they actually look like they work almost as well as a lot of more modern tools for working green wood (in dry it would be a bit of a different challenge).

:D

All I am really saying is that somehow we think that today is the standard, but the standard has really always been a moving target and probably not one that is going to stop anytime soon. Just a while ago before Christmas I was involved in a discussion about turning a Trencher Cutting Board and someone posted that he did make them before by turning but now did them by CNC machine and it was much easier and he could sell more. See all that is good if the object is to make money, but for me, I would like to make money, but I want to do it in a basic way as far as I am concerned,

All I am really saying is that somehow we think that today is the standard, but the standard has really always been a moving target and probably not one that is going to stop anytime soon...

I agree wholeheartedly. :thumb: And thanks for bringing trencher cutting boards to my attention. I'd never heard of them, but Google quickly showed me what they are. I can see how a production guy would favor a CNC for making them, but they'd also be a fun lathe project.