Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Guitar Pickups

First Guitar Pickups

Well these are the first ones I have done on my pickup winder that I built a long time ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2368.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	94137

These are the ones that workClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2522.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	94135

This it PART of the ones that didn't

Name:	100_2523.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	94136

Yes there is a learning curve
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

First thing that came to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    ...This it PART of the ones that didn't

Name:	100_2523.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	94136
    My peekup! She esploded! Lucy...you have some esplainin' to do!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    First thing that came to mind...

My peekup! She esploded! Lucy...you have some esplainin' to do!

This is only part of the ones that got almost wound just to see that the start wire was broken or there were loose wires in the winding (caught on edge of wood but going so fast I didnt see it for 1000 raps) or I broke the start wire when sanding it, Or forgot to sand it before soldering just to find it didnt work or just plan to weak ( not enough raps) bobbin came apart etc. This list is long as you can see by the pile
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

It's great to see the winder has been busy. Are you comfortable all the kinks are out, or do you have to watch it all the time?

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Terminology tip: The ones that keep you guessing 'what went wrong' are called 'active' pick-ups, the non-trouble makers' are called 'passive'

How's those playing lessons coming along? Looking forward to you sampling a few!!!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Very cool Jay! Nice to be able to have only 3 poles on them like that!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    It's great to see the winder has been busy. Are you comfortable all the kinks are out, or do you have to watch it all the time?
    I still have to move the wire back and forth as the gear motor is to slow so until I get that worked out I do it by hand. But each one is getting better
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Terminology tip: The ones that keep you guessing 'what went wrong' are called 'active' pick-ups, the non-trouble makers' are called 'passive'

How's those playing lessons coming along? Looking forward to you sampling a few!!!
    Im gona get to that one of these days........
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

I have no idea about those pick-up and/or how to make them. I guess that you coil copper wire around each anode. My question is, once made them I supose that you have to check their resistance, amperage, or whatever is needed to make them all with the same electrical value whatever it be. Isn't it?

The other question is: Will they be cheaper than off the shelf ones?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Now now Toni, it is evident that you have never had the pleasure of winding coils. I put this in the category of "art" because its as much an art to do what Jay is doing as it is to carve something. A straight transformer , boring no issue, but do something like this where the device is going to pickup the vibration of a metal string waving in front of it. That's a whole different kettle of fish in my books. Oh its easy to do one but to do them all the same repeatedly and get the same result within a narrow window of performance that's an art and as Jay has shown takes as much effort as learning to carve does. Oh may be a big of black art and mix in a big of black magic too, sometimes there is no explaining why something worked last time and wont this time when you go from batch to batch. I would be very interested to see what Jay is using for the "armature or core" from my experience with these kinds of things (not guitar pickups) the most minute variances in just how those poles in the core are connected to each other will affect the output, to say nothing of wire and how its wound.

The result i would think Jay is going for is control over making a pickup that is unique to his instruments needs and sound he wants it to make. Consistency would be another huge factor. Its not easy to even measure the differences between these kinds of devices, its more than just a coil with an inductance resistance and capacitance. So using a bridge is not enough from what i experienced. Oh yeah the fun of coil winding. Actually the word should be nightmare lol.

What i would have rather done differently were i Jay is to buy the coil winding machine, heck at least then the tensioners etc are sorted out. and you only have to get an adapter made for your bobbins.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 01-11-2016 at 03:26 PM.
    cheers