Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for you techno guys

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

question for you techno guys

I have an older "e machine" that was my wives desk top before I upgraded her machine and am thinking of using it for a dedicated shop NC computer so you guys running these system is the machine sufficient to get the job done. Specs are as follows Intel 352 processor, running at 3.2 G htz. It's got 512 Meg ram and a 1/2 gig hard drive.Presently it has windows XP. The machine will be dedicated to whatever I end up building.

Also I am thinking of going totally out of the windows realm and setting this machine up perhaps with Linux.Of course that means I will have to learn linux but oh what the heck in for a penny in for a pound as they say.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 01-09-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Shop nc? Also, what is the motherboard brand/model number? I had one with similar specs that i just upgraded to a duo core with 4gb of ram for about $25

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I ran my CNC on Win98se with an older computer. Not a problem. Mach3 and CNC's really don't need much computer to run them.

My Larken 2424 Camtool is currently running on a computer with XP much like you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Shop nc? Also, what is the motherboard brand/model number? I had one with similar specs that i just upgraded to a duo core with 4gb of ram for about $25

Darren I am presently working on putting together the parts necessary to build a large 12"x10"x10" 3 D printer.It will need to run in 3 axis just like your CNC routers. There are 7 different ways to do 3 D printing the way I am using is called FDM or fused deposition modeling and is pretty straight forward and doesn't require a high powered laser or any such. You just need a 3 axis platform extruder to extrude the material instead of a router. Instead of cutting away mater you put material back.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I'd say boost the memory up a tad, toss in an SSD hard drive, maybe get a faster processor and install Linux Mint.

I'm loving Mint right now. I've got mine installed on a 256gb SSD Drive. Boots up fast and runs great.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Darren I am presently working on putting together the parts necessary to build a large 12"x10"x10" 3 D printer.It will need to run in 3 axis just like your CNC routers. There are 7 different ways to do 3 D printing the way I am using is called FDM or fused deposition modeling and is pretty straight forward and doesn't require a high powered laser or any such. You just need a 3 axis platform extruder to extrude the material instead of a router. Instead of cutting away mater you put material back.
    Ah, take a look at the motherboard brand and model. I can look to see if it can run a faster processor.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Ah, take a look at the motherboard brand and model. I can look to see if it can run a faster processor.

well lets see first of all there a huge fan and heat sink on the processor. on the mother board is a stickers on the sticker it has BTGC6150FZX then a space and then it has AAD51032 300.
    on the board it has D33025
    i can take a picture of the board if it would help.

Go grab Belarc system advisor and run it. It will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Go grab Belarc system advisor and run it. It will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    thanks Brent, i'll do that. i got to scrounge up a power cord and a monitor for it. i'll do it this week.

Yeah a pic would help confirm, but based on the last number the search was showing for the Intel board DG41RQ. Below is a list of cpus compatible with it.

http://processormatch.intel.com/Proc...entName=DG41RQ

Here's the manual, according to it, it can handle up to 8gb of ram ($30 - $40).
    https://downloadmirror.intel.com/172...01_English.pdf

I'd gamble on a used processor off amazon or go down to Fry's and see what they have in stock for the processor. The duo core I just bought was $5 + free shipping off amazon. It was used and I got a bad one the first time. The guy sent me two more and one of those was bad, but not having any issues with the other.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 01-10-2016 at 04:30 AM.
    Darren