Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trencher Cuttingboard

Trencher Cuttingboard

In the off topic area I mentioned turning a Trencher Cuttingboard, so here is the board. It is turned off center out of about 2" thick stock with the chuck holding the board on a recess drilled in with 2 1/8 Forstner bit. the Angle is calculated and the chuck is tightened(really tightened). The lathe a CT128 with about 400 lbs of cement bags on the shelf as balast and turned at no faster than about 550. then once the cutting surface is finished to smooth flat satisfaction the piece is taken off the chuck and the face of the board is placed against a large faceplate with rubber shelving cover on the face, the back is jambed with a live center with custom wooden tip to the recess and pressed tight. The recess and back is now finished so that the recess is turned out and finishing embellishment is added, now the whole board is finished with mineral oil/bees wax combination. Hope I explained it pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edit4.jpg   edit2.jpg   edit3.jpg  
    It is not a mistake! It is a design opportunity.

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Hoogendoorn View Post
    In the off topic area I mentioned turning a Trencher Cuttingboard, so here is the board. It is turned off center out of about 2" thick stock with the chuck holding the board on a recess drilled in with 2 1/8 Forstner bit. the Angle is calculated and the chuck is tightened(really tightened). The lathe a CT128 with about 400 lbs of cement bags on the shelf as balast and turned at no faster than about 550. then once the cutting surface is finished to smooth flat satisfaction the piece is taken off the chuck and the face of the board is placed against a large faceplate with rubber shelving cover on the face, the back is jambed with a live center with custom wooden tip to the recess and pressed tight. The recess and back is now finished so that the recess is turned out and finishing embellishment is added, now the whole board is finished with mineral oil/bees wax combination. Hope I explained it pretty well.
    Seems like I have seen this cutting board somewhere else recently! Nice work!
    Welcome to the family, Hoogy! Great to see you do some travelling on the internet, and land here!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Nice design

Do you do the bottom pretty much flat or is it slightly recessed as well?

Very nice. Didn't know what the trencher tray was till I googled it. Might have to try this. That is very nice.
    David

I really like that design Dirk and added it to my gotta try list. Thanks for posting your methods and welcome aboard.

May I ask why it is called a Trencher cutting board? And are you on the Bruce, or the other side of Georgian Bay?

Nice piece, BTW.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    Seems like I have seen this cutting board somewhere else recently! Nice work!
    Welcome to the family, Hoogy! Great to see you do some travelling on the internet, and land here!
    Hi Mac, imagine meeting here, this internet travel is amazing and I never left my LazyBoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Nice design

Do you do the bottom pretty much flat or is it slightly recessed as well?
    I turn the bottom in a recess to hide the attachment chuck recess.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    May I ask why it is called a Trencher cutting board? And are you on the Bruce, or the other side of Georgian Bay?

Nice piece, BTW.
    Roger I live between Collingwood and Owen Sound close to the bay(within easy walk and Winter view)

Welcome to the family Dirk !!!!

Very cool cutting board
    Faith, Hope & Charity