Trencher Cuttingboard

In the off topic area I mentioned turning a Trencher Cuttingboard, so here is the board. It is turned off center out of about 2" thick stock with the chuck holding the board on a recess drilled in with 2 1/8 Forstner bit. the Angle is calculated and the chuck is tightened(really tightened). The lathe a CT128 with about 400 lbs of cement bags on the shelf as balast and turned at no faster than about 550. then once the cutting surface is finished to smooth flat satisfaction the piece is taken off the chuck and the face of the board is placed against a large faceplate with rubber shelving cover on the face, the back is jambed with a live center with custom wooden tip to the recess and pressed tight. The recess and back is now finished so that the recess is turned out and finishing embellishment is added, now the whole board is finished with mineral oil/bees wax combination. Hope I explained it pretty well.

Attachments

• edit4.jpg
    edit4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 54
  • edit2.jpg
    edit2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 60
  • edit3.jpg
    edit3.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 54
In the off topic area I mentioned turning a Trencher Cuttingboard, so here is the board. It is turned off center out of about 2" thick stock with the chuck holding the board on a recess drilled in with 2 1/8 Forstner bit. the Angle is calculated and the chuck is tightened(really tightened). The lathe a CT128 with about 400 lbs of cement bags on the shelf as balast and turned at no faster than about 550. then once the cutting surface is finished to smooth flat satisfaction the piece is taken off the chuck and the face of the board is placed against a large faceplate with rubber shelving cover on the face, the back is jambed with a live center with custom wooden tip to the recess and pressed tight. The recess and back is now finished so that the recess is turned out and finishing embellishment is added, now the whole board is finished with mineral oil/bees wax combination. Hope I explained it pretty well.
Seems like I have seen this cutting board somewhere else recently! Nice work!
Welcome to the family, Hoogy! Great to see you do some travelling on the internet, and land here!

Gotcha! But I still want to know why it's called a trencher cutting board. :huh:

The dictionary claims.
trench·er 1 (trĕn′chər)
n.
1. A wooden board or platter on which food is carved or served.
2. A piece of stale bread shaped or cut to serve as a plate for eating meals in the Middle Ages.
[Middle English trenchur, from Anglo-Norman trenchour, from trencher, to cut, perhaps from Vulgar Latin *trincāre; see trench.]

So I guess the cutting part is actually redundant and trencher board suffices, although that could be confused with a stake piece of bread, so as you were..

The dictionary claims.
trench·er 1 (trĕn′chər)
n.
1. A wooden board or platter on which food is carved or served.
2. A piece of stale bread shaped or cut to serve as a plate for eating meals in the Middle Ages.
[Middle English trenchur, from Anglo-Norman trenchour, from trencher, to cut, perhaps from Vulgar Latin *trincāre; see trench.]

So I guess the cutting part is actually redundant and trencher board suffices, although that could be confused with a stake piece of bread, so as you were..

I see. Once a year, I get to recite the "Address to a Haggis" at a Robbie Burns dinner. It contains the line "The groaning trencher there ye fill," which implies a serving plate, but I wasn't sure why or how that would extend to a cutting board. Of course, since you "cut [the haggis] up wi' ready sleight" I guess it does serve as a cutting board in that instance.

"The groaning trencher there ye fill," which implies a serving plate, Of course, since you "cut [the haggis] up wi' ready sleight" I guess it does serve as a cutting board in that instance.
Perhaps Trencher Carving Board could be the term since it is intended for meat carving and it allows the juices that escape from the meat to collect in the "trench" and does not spill all over the counter as is usually the case just using the normal cutting boards. My second picture shows the cutting surface forming a trench on the one side of the board.