Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tap handles - and a cutting question

Tap handles - and a cutting question

Working on a pub tap handle design. The final ones will have the lettering blacked in (probably laser cut, no I'm not getting a laser yet), for testing I have been just quickly cutting out the letters with a V chisel to get a feel for how they fill the space.

I'm using those dreadful brass insert jobbies in the bottom for attaching to the tap (sigh, what the customer wants..), it fits with the design anyway I guess.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160111_115638614_HDR.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	94160

Below is the cut plan. Basically taking a 1"x2"x8" and cutting three bevels on it, one off of either side and then shaving the front back so it tapers away from you.

I've been currently cutting the square blank, adding the insert (more wood == less likely to crack). Then I cut the two side tapers on the bandsaw and clean them up with a hand plane and finally cut the front-back taper and hand plane it smooth.

This clearly isn't the most efficient method of cutting this shape out..

So I'll throw it out to the rest of y'all - how would you cut these out? No idea to crazy.

Name:	freebridge_tap_handle.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	94161
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails freebridge_tap_handle.jpg  

I think a band saw is probably best. I don't like that on a SCMS - the pieces are just too thin and long. Same with table saw. I would feel good on the band saw.

On CNC, I would need a jig of some sort and it would be a little cumbersome. Still it would need to be sanded.

I would walk up to the band saw with that.

NOW - the text would be CNC. I could get that real easy and it would be real nice. Could even add some
    embelishment there.

I think the brass inserts are a great idea. I might want to epoxy those in place.

Not a huge fan of the brass inserts. I prefer the tap handle hangers with a ferrule. It just seems to give things a more 'finished' look if you ask me.

Name:	81MKCiYILlL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	94162

What I would do to cut the tapers would be to have a jig on a sliding crosscut jig. Use a hold down and it should make pretty quick work without a lot of clean up.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Maybe a combination if the ideas above, cut the edge tapers on a taper jig, and the face taper on the BS. Probably cut the edge tapers first (?). It would be interesting to hear how you go about it.

I'd probably go with as the others suggested, maybe use a sled to plane the bandsaw'd edges if you need them to look clean.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

It may be my tablesaw-centric mind but, I would use a taper jig. Cut the wide face first, then do the two sides.

Name:	Taper Tapper.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	94167
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-12-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It may be my tablesaw-centric mind but, I would use a taper jig. Cut the wide face first, then do the two sides.

Name:	Taper Tapper.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	94167

That's how I would do it as well.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Couldn't you do multiples on a CNC? Set it up so that the outline and taper get cut shy of half way through the board, then flip, index and repeat leaving an eighth of an inch of the outline holding the piece in the center of the wood to saw off on the bandsaw? Seems like you could do many at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Couldn't you do multiples on a CNC? Set it up so that the outline and taper get cut shy of half way through the board, then flip, index and repeat leaving an eighth of an inch of the outline holding the piece in the center of the wood to saw off on the bandsaw? Seems like you could do many at a time.
    Yes, do it on your cnc Ryan! (waiting on the new toy thread now)
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Turn on lathe.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire