Thread: Shop heat question

Shop heat question

Hi All, I've been away for a long time working on a business start-up. I hope everyone is doing well. I lost my heat source for my wood shop. The old outdoor wood boiler finally bit the dust. So I am thinking about installing a couple of infrared plac type heaters in the barn. One commercial 60,000 btu heater for the uninsulated metal workshop and a smaller heater in the well insulated wood shop. Do any of you folks have experience with these kind of heaters? These will be ceiling mounted heaters. I don't plan on doing any spraying when they are running. I figure I can heat up the wood shop plenty warm and do any spraying after shutting it off. The wood shop holds heat very well. I see some possible advantages with an infrared heater. When I run the dust collector it won't suck all the heat out given that the objects in the room are heated rather than the air.

I wonder how infrared heat affects finish drying?

I have heard that this kind of heat can cause more wood warpage.

Your input is gratefully solicited
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

What fuel? If electric you'll be fine but if natural gas or propane, the heater will add a considerable amount of humidity that can cause many problems. For gas heaters look for tube type radiant heaters that can be direct vented or direct vent unit heaters with a fan if you want fan forced heat.

Natural Gas is the fuel. I am not concerned about the humidity. Michigan winters can be cold and dry so added humidity is usually a benefit. I ran a natural gas heater in the house last year and saw no condensation on the windows. If it does seem to be a problem I can run a de-humidifier.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    It might tbe cheaper to move to Arizona...lol you don't he to shovel sunshine.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward