Seeing the scrollsawn art of Paul Douglass and knowing I don't have the patience to even start a piece like his, I ran a test this afternoon. I downloaded a scrollsaw pattern, processed it in VCarve Desktop and set up a toolpath. The results are as you see here:
To keep my test simple, I sprayed some white acrylic paint on a piece of 1/4" tempered hardboard a few days ago and let it cure. I made a pocket carve using a 1/32" 2-flute stub end mill at 50ipm and 20000rpm. The carve took about 3hrs and 20mins.
For a final run, I'm thinking of getting some 1/8" birch plywood and cutting all the way through as one would with a real scrollsawn piece. Another option might be a piece of maple veneer (0.025" thick) on walnut and carve it about 0.03" deep.