OT - car trunk lock out follow up

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Thanks folks for all your suggestions. I collated them, printed them out and gave them to my friend. She had some good chuckles by some of the responses and was impressed by the wide variety of suggestions.

She bit the bullet and took her car to a locksmith. They had a tough time trying to pick teh lock, and in the end had to resort to drilling it out. Fortunately they had a another lock that would fit, so it got re-keyed to fit the car keys and 3 new sets of car keys were made. She drove off only $22 lighter. She also purchased a can of Teflon based lubricant for the winter months. This was a suggestion from the locksmith as she has always had difficulty with this car's locks in the winter months.

She's a happy camper and passes along thanks to my 'funny and creative friends."

I wasn't there, but the way she tells the story, was that an apprentice was given the task and couldn't pick the well worn lock. Finally the journeyman stepped in and he couldn't either. So the lock got drilled. Fortunately he had another lock that would fit, so a new 'original' key was made, and the 'new' lock was rekeyed. Then 2 other keys were made. Maybe the $22 was for parts and the 'labor' was written off as 'education.'

There is a phenomenon in Dubuque with regard to the cost of some things and services to seminarians. We have no money to speak of and this town has 3 seminaries and 3 undergraduate colleges. Lottsa folks with little or no money! Maybe this is a way the local tradespeople support all these students.

And Eddie, there is no locksmith in Strawberry. Gotta drive 20 miles to Payson to find one of those. What we have in Strawberry is one saloon, 2 restaurants, and one auto repair shop. We only have about 450 residents, many of whom work elsewhere. We also have drop dead beautiful scenery, reasonable tranquility, at least during the week, and wonderful neighbors. Weekends is another story. There are many second homes and they get populated on weekends. Good time to stay home and fire up loud machines!

Two more weeks and I will be back home in Strawberry! YeeHAWWW!

Last edited: