Lathe Pulley Mishap

Dave Hoskins

I have stated many times that I do not claim to be an engineer or machinist. Now if you wanted something blown up or destroyed in many clever ways, being an old retired Marine I'm your guy. I was checking the lathe over for things getting loose as I do now and then, and noticed the pulley on the headstock was getting a little loose. So, I get my handy dandy little allen wrench out and proceed to tighten the set screws. And of course being the somewhat heavy handed individual that I am, I tightened one too tight and it snapped part of the outer part of the pulley off. Nice words flowed until I realized I had a spare pulley so all was going to be fine. Yeah, right. Then I discovered I needed a set of snap ring pliers that have the tips at a sharp angle to undo the one holding the back of the pulley in place. Of course I don't have any other those. So, I have to wait until tomorrow to get a set. Guess I wanted to goof off today after all. So, now I am boring my dog who wishes I would find something else to do. I thought I would show you guys and gals Rosco's photo on the small couch.

Rosco-24Jan16.jpg

Fred, I think Rosco rolls his eyes at me a lot. No Roger, nothing like that. Just one of those aggravating little things that happen. Darren, like you I usually do that. I had already cut enough wood to keep me busy turning for about a week, so I just decided to heck with it for the rest of the day. Being lazy with Rosco seemed to be the best thing at the time.

Dave, My sympathies for the sick lathe...
I just went through a process of replacing the spindle in my Jet 1442... but in the process I think I messed up the speed control... when I crank it down to the lowest, the indicator is sitting on 850, even though it is going at it's slowest...then when I get up to a speed that I usually turn my mills at, the speed control handled is in the way... it's really a bad design.....
So guess I need get up enough ambition to tear it down again and reset the Reeves unit.

BTW, Rosco look comfortable and that look is warning you to not bother him. :D

Well, I got a set of those snap ring pliers that came with multiple tips and it didn't work very well. Took it back and they gave me one that retailed for about $15 more, at no charge and it worked just fine. When I was ordering the parts, the guy warned me that the older Grizzlies had some rubber sealers on the main bearings and sometimes it got hot and the rubber melted and messed some things up. I ran into that with the headstock pulley bearing. Fought with it forever getting it to turn loose. When I ordered the bearings, I went on and got the spindle as well. Makes sense to me to replace it all and be done with it. The way these things are set up I don't know if it is bad engineering or not, but it is for sure awkward for a big guy like me to work on it. But, I'll have it finished sometime tomorrow and all will be well with the world. You are right, Chuck. Rosco was letting me know he was comfortable and leave him alone!