Dresser/changing table

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Well just to show I haven't been lazy so far this winter, here is a convertible dresser/changing table I have been working on. My son Jim and his wife are expecting their first child the end of February and I decided to
make this as a gift. It is yet to to have finish applied, that will start next weekend. The majority of the wood (cherry) was harvested off their land and milled 2 years ago. Here it is as it stands with more to come:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 38
Great work, Tom! But Tom! You are way ahead of schedule. You are going to miss out on the fun of working frantically and until the wee hours of the morning. I would suggest putting off any further work until her water breaks.

Very nice, Tom! Great design and execution!!!

How is the changing table secured to the top of the chest?

Thanks Bill, just using figure 8's on the back side.

Beautiful job on that Tom, love the design. :thumb: Whats the finish going to be?

Thank you Darren, the finish will be 3-5 coats tongue oil finish with 2-3 coats wipe on poly.

Great work, Tom! But Tom! You are way ahead of schedule. You are going to miss out on the fun of working frantically and until the wee hours of the morning. I would suggest putting off any further work until her water breaks.

LOL Bill, this was shown to the mom to be last Sunday at a shower, I was assembling the top section as the guests for the shower were arriving, can't get any closer to a deadline than that:rofl:

A great piece Tom. The side treatments echo crib rails to me and makes the piece "feel" like new-born. Once the changing table is no longer required, the dresser can follow along through high school and maybe even tag along to college ;-)

This morning Lou asked me if I had seen the changing table you made. She must have seen it on Facebook. Anyway, now tonight I can tell her yes I saw it. It is another excellent piece of work your family will cherish. And I'll echo Ted's remark, " I admire your skills!".

Well it is finally complete and delivered, many coats of tongue oil finish and a few coats of wipe on clear satin poly. Schedule made as next Saturday is the due date:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 35
Beautiful Tom sorry I missed your earlier post , as I think Ted said that's definitely heirloom piece there grandpa to be..;)
You a dovetail king after all those drawers.
Like the way you used the board on top two drawers. What holds the top tray on?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the nice comments:) this was a challenge for me as it was my first dresser, but I feel it is my proudest moment in woodworking:) Rob, the top is held on by figure 8's on the back and I will get an action shot for you Carol:)