Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Frankenstein Mortiser

My Frankenstein Mortiser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160122_215423.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	94397
    Not exactly woodworking but for wood working. I wanted to upgrade my mortiser but spending that much just to drill square holes seemed like a bad investment since it still couldn’t do everything I wanted. I have decided to experiment with my old Delta Shopmaster. The design will allow me to pursue better wagon hubs and a X,Y axis available for fine adjustments with the advantage of raising the working height of the chisel and increasing its working distance. If all goes well I can add specialty tables like tilting applications. I hope to find out soon if I had a good idea or a kick butt boat anchor. I hope everyone is getting shop time and making dust unfortunately, I am not.

That looks like it will be a beast.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Faith, Hope & Charity

Looks like it will be a beast! Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

After some head scratching I thought a universal base would be better for my needs adding a different table for my applications. Moving to a bolt on table gives a wider range of options but each will have to provide a y movement. I had a small issue with slight play in the table in a certain spot and finally found it. I switched to a UHMW slide which allowed a very snug fit on the table slide without any play. Several jack bolts in the head will straighten the chisel to the work regardless of slight imperfections, provided the table stays true without slop while adjusting which I think I caught. Still need a lift system but the weekend is looking open for playing in the shop!

Name:	20160127_214829.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	94403

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

So far so good. Zero play in the table thanks to the UHMW, I cut it very snug and it does translate to effort need to move the table but a trade-off for accuracy I am happy to deal with. As for raising the head I am trying a 1” treaded rod on the back of the unit, with all weight on the front binding may be an issue but we will see. Just button welded as not to distort alignment I will glue it down solid tomorrow and affix slotted supports on the mast to allow for adjustments to square the bit to the work. I have a couple projects started waiting some wheels since last spring but I think a small wooden wheelbarrow will be its first stress test should all go as planned.

Name:	20160130_003927.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	94449

Name:	11011274_448929701953727_5938198175073281264_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	94448

Today was a bust, just got started and ran out of wire for the mig. Picked up a roll and when I got home company was at the house, just got some progress happening and realized I had no 2” inch material left to finish the lift system. Lol tomorrow is another day. I made a new cap for the post as I was going to weld it on but thought if anything happened to the mortiser I would have to do some cutting to remove the mount so it will be bolted on instead. Got a half day at best tomorrow to work on it provide I can scrounge some scrap metal to finish, if not it will be a few days to get back at it. not sure how to rotate the pic but tilting my head seemed to work

Name:	frank.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	94477

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Black View Post
    I have a couple projects started waiting some wheels since last spring

Name:	11011274_448929701953727_5938198175073281264_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	94448
    Nice mortiser build Eric but what are those projects? Soap boxes? Trying to figure out how wheels go on?
    cheers

hi Rob they are actually wagon chassis one front view and the other the rear here is a pic from the side on the shelf collecting dust.

Name:	wagon profile.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	94493

not much done on the mortiser today just the pivots top and bottom. mounting the mortiser tomorrow and a handle to crank the head up. Looking forward to the test drive

Name:	mounts.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	94494