Bench Shots/Weekend projects.

Jeff Horton

OK you know the drill.

Bench shots and what your working on this weekend. Lets show/discuss them here.

Since I have hit a layover on the jointer I have am going to jump into the bandsaw. It looks to be a very straightforward project. Except for the motor setup (just like the jointer) I don't expect any problems. I stripped it down last night to the bare casting. It's been primed and painted a few years ago. I have to strip some places down but over all it's not bad. So that it the project for today.

I am hosting an Old Arn mini conference today. 2 old arn guys are coming by the shop.

Jeff wants to clean up a drill press column on my lathe. He is bringing me two motors, one is probably going on the jointer.

Then Bruce is coming down from Tennessee and is an expert on Rotary Phase Converters is going to educate me on building one of these. I think he is bringing one for Show and Tell. Will be picking his brain on how to build one of these.

Sunday is Church and will probably piddle around in the shop that afternoon.

Jeff

Dunno how much shop time I'll get tomorrow, my lovely wife has us going out shopping.....:rolleyes:

yeah, me the Dad, going shopping with his wife, and two daughters, a 13 year old and an 11 year old, what chance do you think I'll be doing anything other than holding shopping bags.....?

Oh well, I'll take a good book I guess.....:zzz:

parts for 71 Oak doors

Various parts and doors here and there in the shop for one of my cabinet jobs I am trying to finish up.
View attachment 8289
View attachment 8290

71 doors total. :eek:
31 are flat panel for the pantry and laundry rooms.
View attachment 8291
The other 40 are for the kitchen and 3 baths.

View attachment 8292View attachment 8293

While Larry was here, He cut to length the rail and stiles, and ran them all through the double router table for me. :thumb: :D
This last two days I have cut panels and assembled the flat panel doors, and glued up and ran the oak panels for the arched oak doors.
Assembling them now.

Thinking back, I think this is the greatest amount of doors I've ever done for a cabinet job.

Last edited:
A couple of weekends ago

Well I didn't get pictures posted when we did the project but a couple of weeks ago my son(Thad) and I built a race car. Yes we did but it was for my grandsons Cub Scout pack and was to be driven by one of the boys and pushed by all the rest. They were having a camp out up at the grounds where there is an old dirt track and actually a race car Museum on the grounds. The rules were simple the wheels could be manfacteured but the rest of the car was supposed to be fabricated. Well here is our attempt at building one and they actually won out over the rest of the packs, but that was more due to their athletic ability than the car. We thought it turned out pretty well foir a weekend effort..

Garry

Attachments

• S_IMG_0004.JPG
    S_IMG_0004.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 51
  • S_IMG_0039.JPG
    S_IMG_0039.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 41
  • S_IMG_0041.JPG
    S_IMG_0041.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 31
  • S_IMG_0042.JPG
    S_IMG_0042.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 38
  • S_IMG_1554.JPG
    S_IMG_1554.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
This is kind of a small project but worthwhile for me. Here is a pile of router bits that I had piled in a small cardborad box. The drill was to dump them all out and hunt for what I needed. A waste of time and not good for the bits either. Typical of my nature.

routerbits1.jpg

When I built my router table I was in a hurry to use it so I did not take time to build in any drawers or storage areas for bits so I have routers, bits, plates, wrenches, ect. all piled in the cabinet. I decided to build a small bit storage area to attach to the side of the table with scrap stuff laying around. I hate to throw away wood anyway.

routerbits2.jpg

I just attached it to the cabinet. I see that there is a lot of wasted space but I keep my larger bits and sets in the wood boxes that they came in anyway so this will hold the good quality individual bits that I have bought seperately so it should work out.

routerbits3.jpg

This is sort of an anti-bench shot as it is the lamination for my 'next' bench's top. I wax-papered and used the TS / RT top for assembly as it is the flattest surface in the shop. I thought I would hurry through this thing by building it on top of the TS and therefor inconveniencing the heck outta myself. It is still taking longer than it should ;-)

4 layers flipped.jpg

Allen,

That bit cabinet has got to feel a lot better than digging through a pile of bits. Nice work.

Last edited:
The status of my workbench, is CLEAN!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Finally!

100_1579.jpg

However, the other side of the room is not quite so lucky.

http://dontee.sistmllc.com/shopcabinets/

Here is the corner counter all loaded up until I can get the cabinets rebuilt and hung. Then I can get back to it.

100_1556.jpg

I was amazed when I got my little "Do it all" work table unloaded and rolled it around to the big worktable. :rofl: Different casters, and no thought what so ever to comparing the two but the little one is the exact same heighth as the big one. I can move the big work table anywhere I like and use the little one for a run-off table. :thumb:

100_1553.jpg

In the near future, I intend to find someone who can put those gantry crane legs against the wall and install a 24' "I" Beam across the shop. I'll park something in front of the legs and they will dissappear. hehehehehehe

DT

The status of my workbench, is CLEAN!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Finally!

100_1579.jpg

However, the other side of the room is not quite so lucky.

http://dontee.sistmllc.com/shopcabinets/

Here is the corner counter all loaded up until I can get the cabinets rebuilt and hung. Then I can get back to it.

100_1556.jpg

I was amazed when I got my little "Do it all" work table unloaded and rolled it around to the big worktable. :rofl: Different casters, and no thought what so ever to comparing the two but the little one is the exact same heighth as the big one. I can move the big work table anywhere I like and use the little one for a run-off table. :thumb:

100_1553.jpg

In the near future, I intend to find someone who can put those gantry crane legs against the wall and install a 24' "I" Beam across the shop. I'll park something in front of the legs and they will dissappear. hehehehehehe

DT

Thats to clean!:doh:

Wow Nice shop..
Garry

I got these scattered on my table to pack up and take to Stu...

I got a couple of deadbolts to put in, and then plumbing to do...connecting faucet hoses and piping.

This is not exactly a bench, and its not exactly a weekend project, but this weekend I did manage to get a start on my home's new addition. What an addition it is too. I was hoping things would go smoothly, but when the gravel truck went out of sight into the mud on the very first trip, I knew things were going to get bad.

Then we hit a spring...under the exact center of my new addition. Not to the left, not to the right, not even forward or backwards, but right underneath the slab. It was not pretty.

Oh well, spend a lot of money and move on I guess...

Kubota_Cat_and_Truck_Small-342x261.jpg

Spring-Small-344x260.jpg

Mud-Small-342x257.jpg

I will be working on a night stand for a freind. I had to reglue most of the joints, now it is ready for shellac then stain with a few coats of poly.

Next will be milling the stack of walnut that I recently received. Some of it will go towards my sons bed. It will have built in drawers.. This will be on a different post.

Once again, my bench is my lathe (and I don't want to show what I'm working on quite yet). I've spent the past two evenings finishing up a bowl. I attempted several different things on the foot, so it's taken some extra time. Also, it's a hard piece of wood, and I was being very picky about my sanding on it. Lots of scratch-chasing. I'm getting ready to put the first coat of finish on it here in a few minutes. It's gonna be worth the extra work. ;)

Some of it will go towards my sons bed. It will have built in drawers.. This will be on a different post.

Al, That was my first woodworking project over 37 years ago. It was also one of the most useful things that I ever built. Mismeasured of course and could not get it through the doors so had to take it in through the outside window so it got sold as part of the house. I cannot wait to see yours.

.... Since this thread wasn't posted last weekend I am catching up.

.... Below is the mixing unit which mixes the ENRICHED soil with the NATIVE soil in it's final stages before assembly. Unit has worked out VERY well and no changes are anticipated.
P1010083b.JPG

P1010102b.JPG

P1010109b.JPG

.... Here is the completed “DIRT CLUMP REFINER and STONE SEPERATOR” with course and fine filters. This unit has also worked out VERY well and has planted 150 trees also, with 25 more to go this week. I do plan to make some moderate modifications for convenience sake.

P1010111b.JPG

P1010117b.JPG

P1010119b.JPG

:)

I haven't had a workshop for a couple of months, ever since I took all my tools out of the basement and put them in the garage so that I could paint basement walls and floors. This means that my woodworking time is even less consuming than it normally is. For this summer I imagine that woodworking will be on an "as required" basis. I spent part of this weekend planting the garden. We put in beets, potatoes, beans, carrots and little green onions, all from seed. The green onions and carrots went in between the rows of garlic that we planted last fall. Next weekend is tomato plants. We have four raised beds, each 4' x 8' x 18". They're filled with a combination of soil and mushroom compost (well aged) and each year we rototill 1/2 a bale of straw into each bed for humus. This small amount of intensive gardening (very small square footage) gives the two of us enough fresh vegetables that we always have some extra to give away.

We did a flea market tour this morning and in the back yard of one flea market I found a McGregor Gourlay 30" bandsaw, circa 1920? as well as a wood lathe, flat belt drive with babbit bearings - both pretty sad, but ... the price should be right. I have a pair of "Iron Horse" washing machine engines here to trade, so that might be all it takes ... I know ... no pictures, it didn't happen ... pictures in two weeks.

cheers