Better than double sided tape

Love the idea, Hate the video. This is a perfect example of of a short paragraph being able to convey the technique without having to sit through nearly 14 minutes of a dude talking to hear himself talk....

(I'm a grumpy old fart!):rofl:

Here's the TL;DR;

Double backed sticky tape not working for you? Put masking tape on the pieces you want to join and use super glue to glue the masking tape together. You can also use this to make your own sticky backed sandpaper.

Seriously, That's it.

Fully agree with you Brent. Drove me crazy and i killed it once i saw what he was getting at.

The issue with double sided tape in my view and experience is that we are faced in normal life with the offerings available at places we frequent like the borgs.

But a good few years ago i was fortunate to get given a large amount of industrial use double sided tape in width equal to letter size sheet but in roll form. There were several types and thicknesses in this lot. ( company was shut down and stock being ditched in trash can (yeah can you believe it) I was called at 5:30 am to ask if i wanted any of the stuff) .

The net is the difference i have experienced with this stuff is amazing, in fact in some cases its too sticky. But its nice and thin and if i wish to make for example a round superfine sandpaper backed sharpening or sanding tool this stuff is perfect.

If i could work out how to share the stuff and retain its stickiness i would because i have more than a lifetime of supply but its not in individual rolls so need to somehow de-roll it if that is even a word.

So Jay from a production time point of view it may be worthwhile looking into double sided tape used in industrial applications. Also keep in mind just like hockey tape we use on our clamps there are as with everything different grades and quality of supply. I do know 3M make some awesome thin double sided tape in normal masking tape type roll sizes so that's one supplier possibility if you need this stuff in a craft business sense. Only thing is sourcing it. I find 3M makes loads of products but getting access to them is not always that easy unless you buying a carton. DUH. There is no brand name on the stuff i have.

He's the sort of guy I'd like to sit down and have a cup of tea with while we talked woodworking. I wonder it you could use this to hold a blank to a lathe. He mentions leaving the sandpaper on the levelling beam for three months, but I've seen masking tape left for a long time have to be scraped off.

Yeah the length of the video stinks I just watched enough to get he drift of it. Didnt want to use up anymore bandwidth than I had to.
I have had some good double sided tape that we used to use on Aircraft but that supply is gone and like you said Rob to find it without buying a box full is not easy. And we have a 3M plant in our area.

The fellow did seem to take a while to get to the point...

I've been playing around with various double sided tapes for holding small turnings in place, and these are mostly what I've settled on (although I have a small supply up some 3m clear plastic core tape that also works pretty well for some stuff).
Nitto Permacel p-50 for high strength and nitto p-02 for less aggressive stuff.

http://www.nitto.com/us/en/products/group/double/161/
http://www.nitto.com/eu/en/products/group/double/121/

You have to be a bit careful with the p-50 and make sure you can get it to release.

We use this to hold parts on the cnc. Four pieces just 1/2" wide by 1-=1/2" long will hold a electric body to the table for final milling.
2015-08-06 09.00.57.jpg2015-12-17 14.29.25.jpg

Alan those guitars are just awesome - love the finishes.

The tape you show comes from a place just about 30 miles from me - I should try it.

I have been using the 3M 1/16 thick tape very successfully.

It needs clean and smooth surfaces. I will sand and shellac surfaces often before using the tape.

I don't see it at the borg.

Yeah the length of the video stinks I just watched enough to get he drift of it. Didnt want to use up anymore bandwidth than I had to.
I have had some good double sided tape that we used to use on Aircraft but that supply is gone and like you said Rob to find it without buying a box full is not easy. And we have a 3M plant in our area.

Ditto on the way to long part. I have used rubber cement for projects like that. Good temp. hold and can be rubbed off with fingers when done.