Need a new Bowl Gouge

Stuart Ablett

OK first, I'm going to buy local, I need this sooner than later, and I want to support my local guy, as he supports our turners group big time.

My P&N 1/2" gouge (shaft is 5/8") is worn out, just about done.

Thers are the choices I have.

Hamlet M2 HSS 084 $57
hamlet_084_bowl_gauge.jpg
Milled from round bar. Every bowl gouge is finely turned for making the best of turned bowls,
for heavy profile cuts or delicate feather cuts. Made from M2 steel
Henry Taylor M2 HSS $70
henry_taylor_gouge.jpg
Ideal for face-plate work, these extra-long deep-U gouges with a steep bevel angle cut quickly and cleanly, reducing the need for sanding and scraping. Made of solid HSS rod.

Henry Taylor Kyro ASP2060 HSS $114

kryo-tool.jpg
The Kryo range takes the already superior M2 High Speed Steel to new heights of performance with a ground breaking metallurgical processing technology. Unlike the hard surface coating (e.g.Titanium Nitride) of blades that diminishes as it gets worn away, the Kryo treatment significantly improves the strength, hardness and wear resistant characteristics throughout the tool.
Kryo treatment is an advanced cryogenic technique that changes the structure of the whole blade; put simply a blade is subjected to a complex immersion procedure at very low temperatures (as low as minus 195C) to produce an ultra fine harder (martensitic) structure, supported by fine carbides.
In practical terms this means wear resistance and therefore the retention of a good cutting edge, is increased by at least 2 to 3 times longer than would be the case, even for M2 high-speed steel tools.
In fact, blades treated in this way, perform very favourably with more exotic, and costly materials, such as ASP 2030, but at a fraction of their price.

Glaser CPM10V $200
glaser_CPM10V.jpg
Glaser turning tools need no introduction from us. Their unique handle design & superb overall quality make them well known by professional woodturners the world over. These are lathe-turning tools of substance, with their hefty metal handles & state of the art cryogenically treated cutting edges.
HANDLES
Who could mistake a Glaser handle? Made from hollow extruded aluminum, they are weighted with removable lead shot to dampen vibration & reduce fatigue. You'd be hard pressed to find a more comfortable & pleasing handle. Just ask anyone who's used one.
STEEL
Glaser tools are extremely hard & wear resistant. Their triple tempered A11 steel will take a keen edge like regular high carbon steels, but will hold that edge much longer than standard high speed steels. Tougher & sharper tools mean better surface quality on your turnings and fewer trips to the grinder. One on-staff turner who has been turning with the Glaser gouges reports that the edges last 3-4 times longer than his traditional high speed steel turning tools. The factory grind on each tool is honed & ready for use. Sizes listed are the actual diameter of the steel bar stock, not the flute width.
Now sure, I understand that the Glaser might just be the ultimate bowl gouge, but man, you pay for that!

The mid priced HT one might be great, but then again.....?

For $114 ($5 shipping) I can get two of the Hamlet gouges, and then put different grinds on them, a traditional grind, and a winged one, for different parts of the bowl.........??

I know the prices are not cheap, compared to the US etc, but hey, I'm not in the US :rolleyes:
:wave:

Last edited:
Stu...I checked at CSUSA....The Hamlet M2 sells for 55.99.......The Henry Taylor 69.99 ....those prices are US.....the prices you have quoted there aren't that bad.

Thanks Ken, I can always count on you! :thumb:

The only one I looked up a price for, online, was the Glaser, it was about $120 :dunno:

Still dunno what to do, I like the idea of a good, long lasting gouge, but if I had two, ground for different jobs, then would they work better, and last longer too?

I have the P&N Supra Flute for roughing, and a Isley Iles (SP?) small gouge for small stuff.

Cheers!

Stu I got the Ellsworth gouge that is HSS $77 and the Ellsworth Crown ProAM for $107. Now the ProAM is a gouge. It will hog some wood off. It is the powered metallurgy and holds a edge extremely well. These for me are a real upgrade for me from the Benjamin Best that I had been using.

Bernie, I know the Ellsworth gouges are good, but I'm going to place the order in the next day or two, and need to pick from the list I gave.... :dunno:

For future reference, thanks for the review! :thumb:

Stu.....I really don't have an opinion on bowl gouges ....I have a 3/8" Robert Sorby I bought locally. It's the only one I have. With my Mini...I'm not going to be "hogging" or "horsing" large amounts of wood off anything including wet wood.