Replacing washing machine hoses is it a scam ?

Don Baer

Staff member
Had to get a new clothes washer and unknown to us the salesman who wrote the order automatically added on new hoses to the order with out even asking. Now to me this is just a way to make the order a little bigger since he didn't even ask me if I need them. (I did beat him up pretty good on the price). Anyhow when i got ready to pay the bill I questioned the amount and that's when it came to light that he had added the hoses.
The guy who checked us out said that they always add new hoses cause they should be replaced.
My first question how do they know how old or the condition of the existing hoses. so whats you collective opinion is this just another way to pad the bill or what.

Most washers I've bought actually come with a set. Now if they are covering their own liability, they should just factor that into the sale and do it. If they are trying to make you pay for them at a price that is above what you could get a set for, then I'd say it's a scam.

I'd recommend changing them every few years. I'd also recommend the auto shut-offs as I've seen the damage having one break can do.

Well this one had a drain hose but no water hoses included, my point is if they were not included then why not ask before adding them on to the bill, don't just add them on.The when i asked the installer about it he just shrugged. Did you install your own or use the free installation that they offer and if you took the free installation how close did you check the bill.

I'd be a little grumpy they added them without asking or talking about it.

Having said that for the rubber ones its a good idea to replace them every so often (say 5 years or so) because the rubber does eventually fail. In addition to the auto shut-offs I've pretty much moved to spending the extra for the ones with stainless braiding on them which gets you a couple more years and lessens the chances of absolute catastrophic failure.

And now you've got me thinking its been a long while... and the paranoia is setting in.

I questioned Lowe's about adding new hoses when we bought a new washer a year ago. We had braided stainless steel hoses already, so I balked. The delivery guys said they had to bring new hoses to reduce liability, but there was nothing that said we couldn't take the new hoses back for a refund. So, I took them back and spent twice as much as they cost on other stuff!

None of the washers I've bought came with supply hoses. I've had new ones recommended each time, and I did add them to the purchase. I'd be upset if they were added to the bill without asking.

I've gone to using stainless steel braided hoses for everything -- toilets, sinks, washer (and dryer...ours has a steam cycle) and icemaker. I've seen the damage that can happen from a broken water supply line to a toilet. A friend's house was flooded by a broken toilet supply hose. She came home from work late one night to find an inch or so of water covering her entire floor. (Slab on grade house.) By all guesses, the hose broke not long after she'd left the house in the morning, and stayed running until around 10:00 that night. It ruined all of her flooring, and her insurance company also paid to replace the lower 4' of drywall throughout her house, because it had gotten waterlogged. (The insurance folks were worried about mold liability.)

Though most of our marriage, we bought used washers. I usually replaced the hoses just because the old ones had been in use for many years, and they don't last forever. I justs though it was a good precaution. That being said, my son installed the new Samsung washer he gave us a couple of years ago, and I have no idea whether it came with new hoses or not.

Another thing to consider which we found out about a week or so ago is the screens at the end of the hose or built into the connection point on the washer.
This place has a He washer. It complained of lack of water. Well I went straight to rear took off hoses and there were double screens and clogged from previous install. Removed one lot and cleaned up and plan on replacing the make do ones.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My whole point had nothing to do with the need to replace them, my point was it was wrong and in my opinion a little deceptive to just add them onto the order without first telling me or asking about the newness :)huh:) of the existing hoses he had no way of knowing if I had or had not just bought new ones and maybe if he had asked he could have suggest either the standard rubber one or perhaps an upgrade to the braided one. The whole point is by adding them to the order without at least mentioning it to us as far as i am concerned was a way to jack up the bill.

I also agree it was an underhanded move to just add them to the order. Was this at a store where the salesmen are on commission?

It does sound deceptive. You should have been asked up front. Not unlike new car dealers who charge extra for 'premium' tires which really are the same tires the car is delivered with from the factory.