Rose Engine Work

Jerry Gilman

Well I completed my rose engine and now its time to start playing on it to figure out all of its thousands of possible cuts.

This is my very first attempt at turning on the rose engine.
The Perfume bottle is Blackwood inlaid with Satinwood and Bloodwood.

Attachments

• Rose.JPG
    Rose.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Rose Bottom.JPG
    Rose Bottom.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 49
  • Rose Top.JPG
    Rose Top.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 34
Very cool :clap:

I guess this is how they did it, by machine, before the CNC stuff eh?

How as building the Rose Engine?

Could we see some pics of the Rose engine?

Cheers!

I second Stuart's comment. Is a rose engine anything like a Briggs & Stratton?:huh:

Your work surely does look good.:thumb:

Fantastic! Beautiful pieces. Not something you see everyday.

I too am interested in how things went making your Rose Engine.

Wes

A rose engine lathe has a rocking headstock that is turned by hand.
The headstock rotation follows different shaped cams as you make
cuts with high speed cutting frames. Google Rose Engine or Ornamental
Turning for some history.

Last edited:
A rose engine lathe has a rocking headstock that is turned by hand.
The headstock rotation follows different shaped cams as you make
cuts with high speed cutting frames. Google Rose Engine or Ornamental
Turning for some history.

Jerry,
I have seen a number of different versions in action, I was wondering how your build in particular went. Did you use the plans available from AAW by Jon Magill?

Thanks, Wes

Man Jerry, that's going to open up a whole new set of creative doors for you. I'd love to see pictures of your machine. (And more finished projects, too.)

Incredible.
Wats a rose engine? :huh:

Frank, we should introduce you to Mr. Google. He's handy for that kind of question. :D

Jerry,
I have seen a number of different versions in action, I was wondering how your build in particular went. Did you use the plans available from AAW by Jon Magill?

Thanks, Wes

I was also going to mention that there was an article on making your own rose Engine in AAW last month or so. Interesting read.

Yes, I used Jon's plans. That's just the beginning, you have to get into all the cutting tools, compound and tool holders also. Plan on $900-1,000 to get it ready to work with (unless you can machine your own metal parts). Its been worth it so far.

Jerry,
I guess we'll need to call you a renaissance man - not only do you produce outstanding pieces of art - you also made the tools to do so! Truly outstanding.

Thanks for the update,
Wes

Actually, folks, I had an idea of what Jerry was talking about. I just had never heard the term Rose engine. I recall, a number of years ago, I came across a very old (ca. 1960) edition of Fine Woodworking that had an article on an ornamental lathe. The lathe was extremely old and had been found in storage from a long deceased grandfather. It was much more complex than shown in the AAW article. The author of the article said it was so complex that he doubted it would be possible to figure out all the permutations and possibilities with it. At the time, I had no inkling I would have an interest in the subject of woodturning, otherwise I would have saved it instead of sending to the landfill.