Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Hand Tool Sharpening Station, Can you share your thoughts, idea?

Dedicated Hand Tool Sharpening Station, Can you share your thoughts, idea?

Looking to make a dedicated hand tool sharpening station, looking for idea and or plans, pics help for sure.

I have a drain, but I have no running water, this will be for water stones.

Thanks!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I have no running water ...
    We have walking water. Walk to water, fill 20 litre container, walk water to shop, lift water to mezzanine, pour into bucket. It's surprising how much flow you get with about 5' head.

I noticed a pretty nice looking sharpening station @ about 4:30 in this William Ng video about cabinet scraper sharpening. If recirculated water would work you could easily? hook up a pet fountain pump to circulate the water in the basin through some sort of spigot.

Yeah Ted that is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for thanks!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

OK the Sheetgoods storage box is gone, and I've used some of the plywood from said box to build a new cabinet around the existing cabinet I had, I just don't have the time to spare to build a whole new cabinet, one day, I guess

I built a light for doing videos a while back, it is very good bright light, but I was having a bit of a problem storing it, well I found a great place to store it, right above my sharpening station!
    on the right at some point I'll make some more drawers for the sharpening stuff, but for now this will be up and running soon.

The wooden surround is just about an 1/8" off the top edge of the green plastic box I'm using as a pond, I have some of that white counter top stuff that is about 1/2" thick, I'm thinking I'll cut a piece to fit around this just like one of those undersink counter, that way I'll have a nice waterproof top for my sharpening station, I'll put some of that foam tape stuff on the top edge of the green box to seal the box to the bottom of the counter top stuff. Then I can add a pump of some kind. I have a plug just above to the right of the new cabinet, I'll get a GFI plug for it, just to be safe.

I hope to have this done, and then some more clean up and back to work.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

But then you'll have to open up the space where the little pond is on the right and .. what will you put there

Looking good, although I might be tempted to move the saws so the aren't right above the moisture producing area.... probably overly paranoid.. but..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    But then you'll have to open up the space where the little pond is on the right and .. what will you put there

Looking good, although I might be tempted to move the saws so the aren't right above the moisture producing area.... probably overly paranoid.. but..
    This is what struck me when i watched Teds video and thought of a closed up basement shop and water. What i have done to get past having to wet the stones before i can use them was had Linda donate a low profile rectangular tupperware dish with a really good lid (hey tupperware quality) and put the stones in the water in the dish and then close it with the lid. Its not ideal and for some stones who knows.

I am yet to be convinced the stones are the way to go for sharpening. I guess its what works for each individual. My preference remains a good flat granite slab and sticking down water paper of different grades.

Only place i have altered is in carving tool sharpening Toni convinced me of the merit in the stones. But i have yet to buy the really useful ones to date.

I get a lot of mileage with self adhesive fine sandpaper from LV and forms that i have it adhere to.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...04&cat=1,43072
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...15&cat=1,42500

So from the looks of things Stu looks like you going to duplicate the video approach?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post

yeah, the saws, they should be OK there, not a lot of water, not spraying it around, but maybe I'll find another spot for them.

The wall behind the sharpening station, I'll put something there, not sure what yet, maybe a narrow cabinet, for...? or maybe just a shelf.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    This is what struck me when i watched Teds video and thought of a closed up basement shop and water. What i have done to get past having to wet the stones before i can use them was had Linda donate a low profile rectangular tupperware dish with a really good lid (hey tupperware quality) and put the stones in the water in the dish and then close it with the lid. Its not ideal and for some stones who knows.

I am yet to be convinced the stones are the way to go for sharpening. I guess its what works for each individual. My preference remains a good flat granite slab and sticking down water paper of different grades.

Only place i have altered is in carving tool sharpening Toni convinced me of the merit in the stones. But i have yet to buy the really useful ones to date.

I get a lot of mileage with self adhesive fine sandpaper from LV and forms that i have it adhere to.
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...04&cat=1,43072
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...15&cat=1,42500

So from the looks of things Stu looks like you going to duplicate the video approach?
    Each to his own, I find the sandpaper never gets my tools really sharp, and sandpaper wears out too fast, for me, and sandpaper gets expensive!

I like the ceramic water stones, they don't need to be soaked for 10 min, you can just wet them and they are fine. I have no running water down here, the jug over the sink is filled during the summer from the aircon, but in the winter I have to fill it manually.

More to come!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Thomas View Post
    We have walking water. Walk to water, fill 20 litre container, walk water to shop, lift water to mezzanine, pour into bucket. It's surprising how much flow you get with about 5' head.
    I don't have that much head, but the flow is just fine

I am happy that I have a sump and pump, would not want to have to empty the bucket all the time. In the summer, that ac keeps that 18 litre jug full all the time.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward