12" Pecan Serving Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Finished this one up today and thought I would show it to you. Pecan simply has nice colors to it. As I usually do the wood was sealed with a couple of coats of walnut oil and then I finished it with several coats of my walnut oil/shellac mixture. The finishing coats were applied with at about 1000 rpm's. The bowl is 12" in diameter, 2 1/2" high, and 1 3/4" deep. Hope you like it.

Last edited:
Photos are showing now (and weren't earlier for me either).

I like the shape, it should work well as a serving or fruit bowl.

Interesting piece of wood lots of grey in that one.

Sorry about the photos not showing up at first. Not sure what happened. Created the album and all the downloading photos to it and all that. Posted the thread and added the photos. A little bit later the album went away into cyberspace. Hope it enjoyed the ride! Anyway, thanks for the comments. This log seems to have a lot of that gray in it. You are right. Rather unusual for pecan.

Chuck, are you saying the photos aren't showing? They are for me whether I am logged on or not. Let me know, Thanks.

I see them now... weren't earlier... like the bowls... beautiful wood.

I miss being able to walk out around a big ole pecan tree and picking up some of those Texas pecans.. We had a little tree by the drive way in Humble that had pecans bigger than your thumb... big ol' paper shells.

Yeah, Chuck. Pecans are good eating. I do like the paper shells better than what most folks call the natives. Papershells are bigger and better tasting. Funny though. I'm on 35 acres and don't have a single pecan tree on it. Not even down by the creek that runs through it. Hmmmmph.

I'm on half an acre and I have 7. One tree has at least 3 different varieties grafted into it. Best tasting pecans come from my native tree, but they are small and the shells are hard.

Steve, I'm glad somebody I know has them. Pecans are good eating no matter the variety. I find them almost addictive when they have been roasted with that Worcestershire Sauce mixture. Fattening as all get out but they be good. My grandfather used to make them the best I had ever tasted. HMMMMMMMM.

Steve, I'm glad somebody I know has them. Pecans are good eating no matter the variety. I find them almost addictive when they have been roasted with that Worcestershire Sauce mixture. Fattening as all get out but they be good. My grandfather used to make them the best I had ever tasted. HMMMMMMMM.

There was a company in Tucson when we were there that had pecans roasted in almost any variety you could want... they had one that was a hot & spicy mixture that I can still taste and I haven't been in Tucson since 1995. Dianne has tried to duplicate them a couple of times, but shelled pecans in halves are over $12 a pound and up here.

Chuck, at risk of sounding like a wimp, my innards won't handle anything real hot. Some of my guts were slightly modified in surgery to repair some bullet damage. I was a hot and spicy and pepper eating fool before that. Not now. I can handle good traditional Mexican food and the like, but not much of the Tex-Mex. But, as my memory serves I don't think there is much of anything hotter than the winter version of kimchi. Had a run in with that in Korea. Whoa!!! Come on ice cream!

I'll let you know when they're ripe next year if you'd like to come pick some up. We don't eat them much and I've had a high school buddy pick them up and use them so they won't go to waste. Glad to let you have all you care to pick up.

Chuck, at risk of sounding like a wimp, my innards won't handle anything real hot. Some of my guts were slightly modified in surgery to repair some bullet damage. I was a hot and spicy and pepper eating fool before that. Not now. I can handle good traditional Mexican food and the like, but not much of the Tex-Mex. But, as my memory serves I don't think there is much of anything hotter than the winter version of kimchi. Had a run in with that in Korea. Whoa!!! Come on ice cream!

Never had Kimchi, but my son talks about it and makes it for himself... he spent a tour in Korea when he was in the army... he was supposed to be a Korean linguist, and spent almost 2 years learning Korean before his tour, but wound up doing computer work when he was over there... My wife makes a Pakistani dish called Keemah, that she learned about from her daughter... You know when it goes down, then next day get reminded when it comes out... I guess I pretty much have a cast iron system... it it don't eat me first, I can handle it...Hotter and spicier the better.... things that give me most trouble is buttered toast, wine, chocolate and some Italian foods... I'll eat them, love them, but will get a touch of indigestion, so they're usually followed by a handful of Tums. (The Italian foods may be a hold over from first marriage... I was married to an Italian woman when I lived int San Francisco... at least she was half Italian)

Oh, and I've had a slight modification of my innards too... I had a strangulated umbilical hernia about 5 years back... they did a bowel resection where the hernia protruded through my belly...took out 6 or 8 inches of gut.... I've been gutted like a fish, about an 8" scar right down the middle of my belly just along side the navel.

Thanks, Steve. But I have a friend right down the road that has some big honker pecan trees loaded all the time. These trees are average 5' diameter and just simply huge. Not gonna trade war stories on scars with you Chuck, but an 8" scar don't come close. Mine from just this surgery starts up at the sternum and goes all the way down. Lots of stuff had to be repaired from that gunshot. Don't get shot in the side. All kinds of things get messed up. Or, in the head. Been there, done that, and got the ball cap and t shirt.