Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made this tonight

Made this tonight

I've been planning on starting a new project once the weather got better and today it got up to about 61 degrees here so I got out in the shop and made this. I had some boards that I wanted to run through the planer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	94645
    The downside to it is...I also did this...

Name:	IMG_2683.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	94646

Name:	IMG_2686.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	94647
    I was running my planer and had just stopped to empty my vacuum. Only a 6 gallon vacuum. Have to empty often but it works well for my use. Vacuum was packed full so I pulled the 4 inch hose off the vacuum and dumped the contents of my vacuum, reconnected the hose and went back to running the last board of the night through the planer. After a few passes through I noticed the shavings starting to blow back into the planer and thought it was odd that the vacuum would be full so quickly again so I shut it down as I was finished running the board through anyway. Just as I shut off the planer I heard what sounded like a "bug zapper" sap..snap..snap...I looked up and saw my hose reel smoking and all the insulation burnt away from the wires. After freaking out for a moment I got it all unplugged in a hurry. The wires were very hot! I decided to leave it lay while I put the planer and vacuum away and thats when I noticed that the 4 inch vacuum hose was completely plugged up. So I'm guessing the last time I emptied the vac the hose was full too and never got cleared. Being plugged up the vacuum started pulling too many amps and the wires got too hot and burned up the cord. Vacuum still runs fine as does all the rest of my machines. Just the cord reel was damaged.
    Now...does anyone know if I can replace the cord to the reel or do I have to replace the whole thing?
    Man...this is how people burn down their homes....glad I didn't do any more damage than this.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Thhhaat, would scare me! I did similar with my dust collector on a 4" hose. Turning pens, acrylic, and thought the long stringies were awesome. Then I started noticing the dust collector sounding different. I stopped and checked and the hose was clogged with those beautiful long curlies. That was when I quit using it when turning with tools and only used it for the sanding process.
    "We the People ......"

Short answer is Yes you should be able to replace the cord. Just watch the spring on the reel when taking it apart. glad it wasn't worse.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Tom, just a thought. when you go to purchase replacement cord and connectors be sure to have with you the cost of a new complete unit. A new one just may be less expensive. Best of luck.

I use my planer on a cord reel. I noticed once during a long planing session that if I only pulled out enough to connect the planer (about 6 feet or so) it got hot. I now pull the cord all the way out when I use the planer and that did away with the problem.

I'm glad you caught it before it got bad!

It got hot?

Just makes me think out loud.

Wire gauge?

I have my shop wired with all 12-3 wire for 20 amps. I took extra care to be sure the receptacles and light switches were rated for 20 amps.

Finding an extension cord larger than 16 gauge is a bit of a chore, maybe 14 gauge, but one at 12 gauge is a stretch.

My guess is that the cord on the reel is no bigger than 16 gauge and that would tend to get hot under the load of the vacuum.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    I use my planer on a cord reel. I noticed once during a long planing session that if I only pulled out enough to connect the planer (about 6 feet or so) it got hot. I now pull the cord all the way out when I use the planer and that did away with the problem.

John you may be onto something here. The more I think about this the more I believe your opinion. It may not have been just my vacuum pulling to many amps it may be BOTH my vac and planer pulling amps on a coiled up cord. Either way...... I'll be watching very close next time I use my planer.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post

That is a good practice if you check the NEC you ill find that the current ratings for wire on a spool or coil is less for the same wire in free air. Obviously with the wire coiled up you are trapping the heat. Not a problem for light loads like lights but for running anything heavy like a planner or compressor it can be problematic. some charts I have seen for having multiple conductor together will de rte the capacity from anywhere 80 to 50%. most charts talk about wire in a wire trough but coiling wire in a spool would be very similar.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    ...it may be BOTH my vac and planer pulling amps on a coiled up cord...
    I think I'd avoid running both machines off the same extension cord. Both of them are potentially pulling quite a few amps when they're working hard, and they're typically both working hard at the same time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My dad had one of those cord coilers that "wrapped" the cord in a container. He only pulled out what was needed for a battery charger. The whole container went up in smoke. Always assumed it was due to the coils making the cord like an armature. Consequently I make it a habit to roll out a whole extension cord when in use instead of leaving the not needed portion in a coil. Glad it ended well Tom. Makes for a nervous evening.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING