Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Sliding Door

Cherry Sliding Door

Hopefully a rather short project since I'm really itching to start on my next guitar. We remodeled our back room in the house and really need to close off the kitchen from it once in a while. This project is a pocket door made of cherry that will kind of be an exercise in frugality to some extent. Using up some wood I already have lying around. Hopefully we're only looking at 3 or 4 parts to this one then I can get back on the guitar. Thanks for watching!

Last edited by Jason Beam; 02-27-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

A door has been on my want to do list for a while.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I just drool watching you in your shop. Cannot wait for winter to end to get back into the shop.
    cheers

Slight change of plans - instead of a pocket door, we've decided a sliding door instead. This is good because the opening can stay a comfortable height. The pocket door hardware just wanted too much room and would mean the door would have to be shorter than i'd like. This doesn't really change anything about the door construction, thankfully. So in today's video, I flush the hardboard and then get some cherry together for veneering the rails and stiles. I also go into a bit more depth on my resawing system which works a treat. Thanks for watching!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

In this episode, I get all the rails and stiles completely wrapped in cherry finally. Some thicker cherry where the edge profiles will be cut, and some thin veneer along the outer edges. I show my strange method for veneering long pieces alone again, and at the end things get a little tense with the final pressing - hope it all came out alright!!

Thanks for watching!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

First, I see how last week's vacuum clamping fared. Then handle it's outcome and finally get the veneer flush trimmed. After that, we start to focus on the panels. I've got some incredible cherry veneer that I decided to use. Not being a huge fan of sapwood, I decided to trim each piece to eliminate as much as is practical. After that, jointing the edges and stitching them together. Lastly, they get their glue and go into the bag... I love that vacuum press!

Thanks for watching!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

This week is a big one - first, we see how well the panel veneer glue up went. Then we get those panels trimmed to size. After that, the choice in process becomes a small point of debate with myself. Once i settled on a process, though, it was a simple matter of laying out for the joinery and getting it cut. All in all, this project is moving along nicely!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Another big week - the tenons get cut on all the rails as well a the panel groove. I also cut the decorative profile on all the rails. Some creative problem solving is employed for cutting the groove in the top rail. After that, we get our first dry fit. This thing is gonna be heavy!!

Thanks for watching!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

This week pretty much the last of the woodworking is taken care of. I get the stile trim profiled and cut out. Then I work on getting the ends coped for the top arched panel molding. I finally decide to take a shot at mitering the rail ends of the trim and setup for that. This worked out pretty well, even.

Thanks for watching!

Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA