Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

For some time I have been getting warning notices that my browser, IE9, is out of date and I need to upgrade to Win. 10. I don't mind, but when following the links I find that I am able to get Win. 10 "free". The hitch is I must get a new computer with 10 on it or one that is upgradable to 10. I ain't happy about that.
    Be like being told my truck tires need replacing and I can get them "free" but I have to buy a new truck to get the tires that are attached to it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

In fairness to the industry it is more like being told that the new fuel efficient transverse mounted V-6 will not fit in your 1972 Ford F-150 . In the Microsoft world before XP, Windows changed every few years. Very often with the difficulty of outdated driver support and so forth. Windows XP was viable for so long there are entire generations of PC users who never knew anything else. Having to suddenly upgrade hardware is a shock.

However, we do have a lot of systems that pass the compatibility test only to fail to upgrade to a usable machine; video, sound and network drivers fail. So if yours does not pass the compatibility test I would think that it is really not a candidate. Sorry about that. We do have systems running Pentium D processors from 2005 that upgraded with only minor video driver issues. How old is your machine?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

There's always Linux if you're only browsing the web. What kind of windows apps do you normally use Frank?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Personally, I loved good ol' XP. It was a good and relatively stable platform for computer work. Again please note I said computer work. I am currently running 7. I build my own machines from the ground up. Then I know what I am getting. It's actually not a difficult task. I took the free upgrade to 10 that comes with 7. Had that pesky little window popping up and telling me to go do it so I did. Could not get it off my machine fast enough. I know it's the trend that all the younger folks love where everything is app based like on them stupid phones. But it seems to me that every time Microsoft says they are making it better and faster, it seems to be the opposite. Faster? Maybe. Better. NO! I do not have a solution for this but I guess I am eventually gonna have to upgrade to the app crap and be quite about it. Might as well be quiet because Microsoft sure isn't going to listen to me. I actually thought about getting rid of windows and going with a different operating system altogether.

I got forced into Win 10 because my computer died and I needed a replacement. My wife and I each had a laptop that we used as desktops and a notebook that we used when we needed something portable. The laptops had Win 7 on them and the notebooks had Win 8. When mine died, I got an all-in-one with Win 10. I'm glad I'd been using Win 8 so I was used to the App situation. I was pleasantly surprised though that all the software I had CDs for loaded right up and ran first time including MS Office 2010, PaintShop Pro, and Quicken 2010. I wasn't looking forward to buying them again.

I'm delaying upgrading the others, though. My wife's laptop has some old quilting software on it that took a phone call for each program to the help line to find out how to load it on Win 7. I can't imagine how tough it will be to get it to work on Win 10.

I'm getting used to Win 10, but won't say I like it. Win 7 was about my favorite.

If it's the Windows start button you all are missing, give the Start 10 app a try (30 day trial, or $4.99 to purchase). It adds the Windows 7 start button back with all of it's menu options. I used their version for Windows 8 as well and really forget that I'm in windows 10 (or 8) for the most part.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've 'switched' to Linux mint on my home machine. I put the switched in quotes, because there are a few apps, like Vectric that I need windows to run.

So, My machine is really a dual boot machine. I also have a virtual win 7 machine that I can run in Linux and access the apps. So I'm not really free.

but if you find the win 10 reminders annoying, there is GWX Control panel available at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ that will help to keep M$oft from reminding you to upgrade.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Are you running Windows Vista? I'm guessing you are, because Windows NT only supports IE versions up to 8, where are Vista only supports up to version 9 of IE. Vista is about 9 years old, which is a pretty long run in the operating system world. If you're not in a position to upgrade, then you don't have much choice but to ignore the pop-up messages and just carry on with what you've got.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I've 'switched' to Linux mint on my home machine. I put the switched in quotes, because there are a few apps, like Vectric that I need windows to run.

So, My machine is really a dual boot machine. I also have a virtual win 7 machine that I can run in Linux and access the apps. So I'm not really free.

but if you find the win 10 reminders annoying, there is GWX Control panel available at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ that will help to keep M$oft from reminding you to upgrade.
    Oh man Brent thank you thank you thank you, i am indebted to you for sharing that link. And the Ultimate outsider blogger needs a nobel prize for standing up for our rights. Man when will companies learn to respect user choice.

I keep thinking back to word, how i still use word the same way i did the very first time yet they keep pushing new versions with essentially zero increase in benefits for what i see the majority of users use it for. I have paid repeatedly for the upgrades just to be able to work with clients that have been forced down the same path for the same mediocre benefits or NOT benefits of having to learn where they put what all over again. Wish they would just let us use our computers and get on with something truly new and innovative.

Thanks Frank had you not brought up your troubles i would still be battling good old MS in my refusal to upgrade to windows 10 battle. What a huge waste of time they causing. Some day some company is going to come along with an true alternative and they just dont realize the ill will they have been building up, that day MS shareholders be ware, the cards will fall. Long live the techies that defeat these guys. Its a continuous battle of David and Goliath. I got a few more leaches in my computer that i would like to get rid of but it gets stale fast spending time rooting out the working solutions. So Brent thanks again you saved a lot more than more gray hair for me.

Now i need a tip to get rid of Handy Andy Android Emulator
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Are you running Windows Vista? I'm guessing you are, because Windows NT only supports IE versions up to 8, where are Vista only supports up to version 9 of IE. Vista is about 9 years old, which is a pretty long run in the operating system world. If you're not in a position to upgrade, then you don't have much choice but to ignore the pop-up messages and just carry on with what you've got.
    Yep. I think Jimmy Carter was still in office when I got this one. It is about 10 years old and running Vista. I added memory when I got it and my hard drive is only about 20% used. I'm going to download a Vista update and start shopping but brand-new high horsepower is not in the budget right now. Oh, well.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire