Windows 10

Frank can you specify what you use the computer for. Not trying to be funny but a great deal has changed in recent times and if you only using it to browse the web there are several options open to you that may be cheaper and leave you better off for the future.
Also what sort of internet connection do you have ?
Do you do much writing on the computer as in use some form of word processor for documents etc.
It would be worthwhile just listing what u use it for and what you want to use it for as life moves on.
This way some of us might be able to provide you with alternative options that may make a better use of scarce funds and take into account the future.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob
I use my desktop heavily for many tasks. Browsing is just one. Yes, I do write using MS Word and store much on the 'puter. Same with photos, I edit using Photoshop Elements and store many thousands in Picassa and Win Pictures. I am a FaceBook and e-mail user also. I have a Kindle Fire HD tablet and use it away from the desk. I have a good monitor and wish to stay with a tower for power and storage.

New question: How many Google/home page freezes does one need to convince himself a new computer is needed?:dunno: Answer: Not as many as I have had today, including after running repair utilities. :type::crash::bang:

Even Linux isn't completely immune to problems. My primary system (no powerhouse, mainly surfing), has had issues lately (no browser works, but I can Apt-get updates, etc). After more problems I went ahead and downloaded Linux Mint last saturday for another system I am putting together, but didn't have time to install, thankfully. I found out Sunday, that Saturdays download was a hacked one.
Then I determined my primary system has a hardware issue.
New hardware on order to fix it, as most of my systems are down, while I am trying to convert a bedroom to a computer room/office.
Only my Windows gaming machine, that hasn't been on in a year is up.:rolleyes:
Needless to say it needed updates and now will start the upgrade nag. It may become a Linux system soon. No time to game.

Even Linux isn't completely immune to problems.

Too true. I am repeatedly surprised by otherwise reasonably intelligent folks on campus continuing to believe that Linux or Macs "don't get viruses" or "don't get hacked". No, seriously; these are university professors, PhD's, some with computer science backgrounds. We deal with attacks on operating systems for security appliances, routers, even tablets and phones. To think that any decision engine is immune for some magical reason associated with its brand, OS or color just boggles the mind ;-)

Just as tablesaws get the bulk of the blame for power tool "accidents", certain operating systems fall in and out of the spotlight when it comes to computer vulnerabilities. Microsoft has many challenges, only one of which is being the omnipresent OS and therefor the one that gets hit the most. Macs get hit on campus as often as anything but, even relatively unknown components that most people do not even know are there get targeted. When folks are willing to spend the time to craft an attack on a particular model of small form factor network switch or networked printer (our current bane, especially the wireless ones) just to do malicious things to them . . . makes me wonder if my microwave oven is even safe :D

Last edited:
Well, more bad news for ya regarding Picasa... http://googlephotos.blogspot.com/?hl=en_US

Interesting news. I don't like cloud storage or operating from it because of privacy issues. Yes, I know it is a futile concern already but I still don't like it. However, I realize the time has come. I will back up my Picasa and Win Pictures photos onto a CD then do the Google Photos thing. That will free up some hard drive space also. We'll see. Thanks for the tip.

Too true. I am repeatedly surprised by otherwise reasonably intelligent folks on campus continuing to believe that Linux or Macs "don't get viruses" or "don't get hacked". No, seriously; these are university professors, PhD's, some with computer science backgrounds. We deal with attacks on operating systems for security appliances, routers, even tablets and phones. To think that any decision engine is immune for some magical reason associated with its brand, OS or color just boggles the mind ;-)

Just as tablesaws get the bulk of the blame for power tool "accidents", certain operating systems fall in and out of the spotlight when it comes to computer vulnerabilities. Microsoft has many challenges, only one of which is being the omnipresent OS and therefor the one that gets hit the most. Macs get hit on campus as often as anything but, even relatively unknown components that most people do not even know are there get targeted. When folks are willing to spend the time to craft an attack on a particular model of small form factor network switch or networked printer (our current bane, especially the wireless ones) just to do malicious things to them . . . makes me wonder if my microwave oven is even safe :D

I wouldn't go so far to say Linux is immune to viruses, as I only know of three and at least one was a proof of concept. I will say, in the correct settings (a home user like myself), is a more resistant target as the ones targeting home users, traditionally want to infect mass amounts of Windows machines for botnets. In a school setting, or some other settings, your more apt to have Windows viruses on a Linux file server (windows shares), and are more apt to have targeted hack attempts, then a home user. (unless the NSA or someone is investigating you)
A couple years ago, they had something on one of the sites about one of those "smart" refrigerators, being hacked, and being a gateway into your network. I think we will see more of that with cars (drive to the hacker, bug gets transferred to the home network when the car connects to it) in the future.
The most important aspect of security, involves that organ between the ears.

I've 'switched' to Linux mint on my home machine. I put the switched in quotes, because there are a few apps, like Vectric that I need windows to run.

So, My machine is really a dual boot machine. I also have a virtual win 7 machine that I can run in Linux and access the apps. So I'm not really free.

but if you find the win 10 reminders annoying, there is GWX Control panel available at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ that will help to keep M$oft from reminding you to upgrade.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!
I haven't turned on this game machine in a year, due to the whole Windows 10 fiasco. Only using it while awaiting hardware for my Linux machine. Got the dreaded update to 10 now or late scam and used this to turn it off.
Still considering one of the conversion programs (start 8, classic shell, etc), to make it back into a traditional desktop. Only went ahead and bought the game machine (kept getting games for Christmas from one relative that wanted me into gaming) because I am so out of date on Windows, in case of job change. (I had a time switching, because of the different lingo, ones I learned the Linux terminology, my brain doesn't want to switch back)

More bad news Google is dropping Picassa.
It will stay working where you have it installed but no more downloads from them. Want you to use the cloud. I have been loading my pictures to the cloud for close to a week band still have 6000 of 8000 to go. And they don't upload full size unless you buy the cloud space. So grab the zip for Picassa now.
It has been my favorite photo system for some time now.
Crazy how all theese companys think we have fast unlimited internet.
Still on dsl here plus 20 gig of hot spot mifi that costs over 100 per month,.

Last edited: