pancake compressor isnt cutting it anymore

allen levine

I think its gone, I had my neighbor(contractor take a look at it today)
it just doesn't get enough pressure anymore, noticed around a month ago. sounds different.
He suggested not to bother getting parts, its an 8 year old PC pancake compressor that runs on sale for 99 dollars.

I don't want another 6 gallon compressor.

any suggestions for a 10, 15, 20 gallon compressor, maintenance free, 110 power, standard power, non 220, under 48 inches tall, available locally at lowes? or better amazon or somewhere where shipping isn't expensive or free.

I use it for nail guns, putting air in tires, and spraying water based lacquer, which was never easy with the 6 gallon.

Last edited:
Yup I got similar one to Jay at Lowes under their hawk brand. Never looked back...but...I also fixed my pancake compressor for around $20 by replacing a aluminum tube and rubber seal special to the compressor. The seal was in the form of a T and went around the aluminum tube.
Was an easy least repair.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Stay away from any of the direct drive oilless. They are LOUD!!!! Not that compressors are all that quiet, but those puppies generate more noise than air.

That sounds like a good one, if you were using impacts and such I'd recommend higher cfm output, but 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI should be plenty for the tools you're using. The extra tank size should be good for spraying too.

Stay away from any of the direct drive oilless. They are LOUD!!!! Not that compressors are all that quiet, but those puppies generate more noise than air.

I know, I know! I hate mine. Every time it goes off, I jump about 2 feet in the air. You just can't be in the shop with it running without ear protection. It is getting replaced someday.

Those small, portable jobs are super cheap. Consider them almost disposables. If you need portability, get another. If not, go for larger and quality. Mine is a small, single tank job I paid $69.00.

I was at someones house, he had a 20 gallon oiless craftsman compressor. No noisier than the little pancake I had.
I ran over to sears with my son Saturday and picked one up. im happy.
I was so happy I finally got an upgrade, I decided finally, I need to improve the rolling cabinet under my 22/44 drum sander.
I purchased the 600 pound hard solid blue castors at harbor freight.
my bil came over yesterday, helped me mover the sander off, we flipped the cabinet, installed the new castors, in 15 minutes, now its so easy to move up and down the ramp into the shed I can do it myself without help.
what a difference the right weighted castor does. The pneumatic ones were constantly going flat in the cold weather and weight, they were rated for 330 lbs each, didn't cut it.
every time I do a simple shop adjustment, it makes my life that much easier. No more shortcuts.