Thread: pancake compressor isnt cutting it anymore

pancake compressor isnt cutting it anymore

I think its gone, I had my neighbor(contractor take a look at it today)
    it just doesn't get enough pressure anymore, noticed around a month ago. sounds different.
    He suggested not to bother getting parts, its an 8 year old PC pancake compressor that runs on sale for 99 dollars.

I don't want another 6 gallon compressor.

any suggestions for a 10, 15, 20 gallon compressor, maintenance free, 110 power, standard power, non 220, under 48 inches tall, available locally at lowes? or better amazon or somewhere where shipping isn't expensive or free.

I use it for nail guns, putting air in tires, and spraying water based lacquer, which was never easy with the 6 gallon.
    Last edited by allen levine; 02-24-2016 at 09:12 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

I had one of these for a long time until I built my new shop and replaced it with a 80 gal compressor. Did everything I need in my small shop at the old place. I could even use it to spray small stuff with ( Like Organ parts and cases) You can find them on sale alot of time for anywhere from $99.00 to $129.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-...sor-61454.html
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Yup I got similar one to Jay at Lowes under their hawk brand. Never looked back...but...I also fixed my pancake compressor for around $20 by replacing a aluminum tube and rubber seal special to the compressor. The seal was in the form of a T and went around the aluminum tube.
    Was an easy least repair.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Ditto on the one Jay posted. It worked fine for me.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Stay away from any of the direct drive oilless. They are LOUD!!!! Not that compressors are all that quiet, but those puppies generate more noise than air.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

That sounds like a good one, if you were using impacts and such I'd recommend higher cfm output, but 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI should be plenty for the tools you're using. The extra tank size should be good for spraying too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Stay away from any of the direct drive oilless. They are LOUD!!!! Not that compressors are all that quiet, but those puppies generate more noise than air.
    I know, I know! I hate mine. Every time it goes off, I jump about 2 feet in the air. You just can't be in the shop with it running without ear protection. It is getting replaced someday.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Those small, portable jobs are super cheap. Consider them almost disposables. If you need portability, get another. If not, go for larger and quality. Mine is a small, single tank job I paid $69.00.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I was at someones house, he had a 20 gallon oiless craftsman compressor. No noisier than the little pancake I had.
    I ran over to sears with my son Saturday and picked one up. im happy.
    I was so happy I finally got an upgrade, I decided finally, I need to improve the rolling cabinet under my 22/44 drum sander.
    I purchased the 600 pound hard solid blue castors at harbor freight.
    my bil came over yesterday, helped me mover the sander off, we flipped the cabinet, installed the new castors, in 15 minutes, now its so easy to move up and down the ramp into the shed I can do it myself without help.
    what a difference the right weighted castor does. The pneumatic ones were constantly going flat in the cold weather and weight, they were rated for 330 lbs each, didn't cut it.
    every time I do a simple shop adjustment, it makes my life that much easier. No more shortcuts.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...every time I do a simple shop adjustment, it makes my life that much easier. No more shortcuts.
    Good shop wheels are always a good investment.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com