Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Elm Stash

New Elm Stash

Had the opportunity to grab some nice American Elm from maybe 1/2 mile down the road. Brought up the trunk today to get started on things. Still have limbs and other trees to get including a pecan tree. Will be doing that all the weekend as rains are coming again around Tuesday. Because this one was down in a ditch, I had to cut it into lengths that would fit in the bucket of the tractor. Had to latch onto them each with a cable and bring them up to the road. Took a little while but will be worth it. The average diameter of these logs is 20". Should get some nice stuff from this wood.

Nice score Dave,
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Thanks, Charles! One must get wood if one is to turn wood. Right???

Nice score! Elm can give you some beautiful grain. It's a pretty stable wood too. Not much movement when turned green. Be prepared for a bit of a nasty smell from wet shavings....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Hi Jeff! It's a good wood. I've turned a bit of it. I don't remember anything about a bad smell from the wet shavings, though. I sure do when turning green hackberry, though. It can really put you off sometimes until it dries out some.

Nice haul... ELM has some pretty grain.... I had a large Elm standing behind my shop that was dropping limbs... the trees tend to die pretty quickly if you disturb their roots and when the guy prepped my shop site, he disturbed the roots of my tree... it was about 30 inches at the base and I had it laid down right where it was, the trunk cut into about 3-4 lengths and stacked behind the shop... I couldn't get to it fast enough and most of it rotted before I could get it turned. SAD!

I got a limb from a friend in my art group that fell out of his slippery elm tree... the limb was from about 10 or 15 foot up in the tree and almost a foot in diameter... it was green and I've turned a good bit of it... hard wood, but does turn nicely.

Speaking of smell, I picked up a Walnut tree from a family in North Knoxville... it grew between their driveway and the neighbor's horse lot... they hated the nuts falling on their cars and all over the driveway, so it came down.... now when I turn it, I can smell the horse lots next door... Walnut isn't supposed to smell like Horse Dukey.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

You are right, Chuck. It's very nice looking wood. I'm not sure what to say about the walnut stinking like that. But I guess wood picks up the smells of where it came from. Never thought much about it, but I guess it's true. I will do my best not to get a tree from a horse lot.

Nice haul Dave!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice haul indeed, and that diameter should yield some nice big pieces.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I am getting kinda antsy about having to wait before I can cut down and rough out some bowls from this. Still hauling logs from the site. I plan on finishing up the logging part of things by Monday. Hopefully. A lot of what I am bringing out now is in a very low boggy area and it's hard to get in and out of there. Can't get a truck and trailer anywhere near it. All tractor and cable work. AAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!