Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dough bowl

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

dough bowl

Well as this ain't really turned, i guess it should be else where. But i'm putting it here as it is a bowl. This is a piece of maple burl i started hacking at over 8 months ago. Didn't have the right tools to do it with, so through it in a corner and said to heck with it. About a month ago a lady at the bank asked if i could make her a dough bowl. Figured i better get some new toys and finish this up.Ordered a Lancelot chain from King Arther tools, bought a new 4 1/2" grinder ( old one was 25 years old) needed a new one any way. Some sanding floppie disks and had at it. It's 23" long by 9 wide, and 3 deep. BLO with lacquer, need more lacquer and wet sanding, but that's to be done. O i do belive Jay has a piece of this same wood that Larry took to him a number of years back. Any way what ya think?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 (800x400).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	94706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 (800x306).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	94707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007 (800x345).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	94708

Pretty piece of wood!

Looks great, but I'm not sure I know what a Dough bowl is, I would have thought it would have been a BIG ROUND DEEP bowl that you make say cookie dough in....?

Anyways, it sure looks nice!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Stuart from what little I know it was used down south to make
    There bread dough in

Stephen, that is beautiful. I did one something like that out of pecan a couple of years ago. It was so time consuming I haven't done another one. I don't think you can sell them for what the labor is worth. But, they are fun if you have some of the tools. You are right about making the bread dough in it. Don't know if it was a southern thing, but that was what it was for. They preferred them shaped like yours their so they could form their loaves easier than in a round one. They used round ones for biscuit dough and such. At least that is what I was told.

It's a beauty, Stephen. Nice shape, symmetry, uniform thickness and finish. I'm not a bread maker, but it seems a little narrow for the task. The ones I've seen here have a bit more width to them....more on the order of 12".

That looks great!!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

That is some pretty wood. And the craftsmanship is also beautiful. Very nice job.
    David

Hey Stephen, can you show or tell how you held the wood as you were carving it out? I have the lancelot as well and need to try this. That chain disk is scary but man does it remove wood fast.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

There is a fellow over in Copper Hill, right on the Tennessee side of the Georgia line that makes dough bowls... he has a shop on the turn off to go over the river that separates TN and GA.... he sits in the window of his shop and hollows them out with an adz... looks like a short handled hoe with a little curve to the blade ... me - if I did that I'd manage to chop off a finger or two.

Also had a young man at the Harvest Gold Festival in Coker Creek, TN that made them at the show... he was getting big $$ for his... unfinished raw wood.

Stephen, love the wood.. great looking bowl.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Well as this ain't really turned, i guess it should be else where. But i'm putting it here as it is a bowl. This is a piece of maple burl i started hacking at over 8 months ago. Didn't have the right tools to do it with, so through it in a corner and said to heck with it. About a month ago a lady at the bank asked if i could make her a dough bowl. Figured i better get some new toys and finish this up.Ordered a Lancelot chain from King Arther tools, bought a new 4 1/2" grinder ( old one was 25 years old) needed a new one any way. Some sanding floppie disks and had at it. It's 23" long by 9 wide, and 3 deep. BLO with lacquer, need more lacquer and wet sanding, but that's to be done. O i do belive Jay has a piece of this same wood that Larry took to him a number of years back. Any way what ya think?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 (800x400).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	94706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 (800x306).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	94707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007 (800x345).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	94708
    I am still petting mine Stephen I have it in the shop but it cracked real bad even with it sealed. Keep looking at it everyday trying to see what is in it so to speak.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.