Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New project with a little recycling

New project with a little recycling

This is the LOML design idea. She came up with this pair of old raised panel doors and wanted to make a bed using them. It started out as simply attaching some legs and bolting it to the existing bed frame. We were talking about this and then one morning she calls on her way to work and said she found two doors in a yard sale and I needed to go pick them up right now!! So it grew into a full bed.

Because we sold the house and started the new one this never got off the ground till now. (trying to get some "stuff" out of the shop) And of course I wasn't happy with just putting legs on there either. Last couple of days I have worked on the corner post. I used 5/4 poplar and cut and glued up mitered posts. I should have the doors ready for glue-up today. I made a cap and rail to look at. Both of them look to heavy to me I think they need to be thinner. I need to make those today and or course I have to plug the hardware holes too.

I think it is going to be a pretty nice once it's done. Just dread all the sanding it going to take to get them ready for paint! No work today so I have lots of shop time but it's cold and rainy here. I really wanted to take them outside to sand because it is probably old lead based paint on these doors.

jeff, try scraping instead of sanding.....lots less dust and faster...tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Good idea (I think????). I will be very interested in seeing the finished product.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank, I think you were the only one brave enough to (sort of) say what you were thinking.

It doesn't look like much in the picture. I started not to even post them. Matter of fact I had it ready last night and deleted the post. Then decided what the heck. I love before and after shots. And it will look good once it's done. Hard to tell that at the moment thought.

Everyone over at Woodnet thought I was nuts when I gloated about my new Unisaw too. I loved watching the smart remarks they made.

But I got the last laugh and reminded a few of them about their comments once it was done.

Since everyone thinks I have lost my mind I figured I would show an updated photo of the bed. I got it to the point I could put it together tonight.

I cut the mortises for the bed rail hardware. It just amazed me at how two pieces of wood can be so different. The first one went perfect, I was so impressed with the way the mortises looked. Thought it was a shame they were hidden. Then I hit the next piece and I was glad no one could see them. Looked they were hacked out! That piece was just horrid to try to chisel.

I got them done and have the bed together even though nothing is glued yet. I really want to glue the posts to the headboard with the rails in place. I figure that will help make sure everything goes together nice and square and will fit together properly once installed!

Hoping tomorrow after Church I can glue it up. Then build the caps for the posts and the trim piece that goes across the top of the head and foot board. Then it should be ready for paint and building the slats.

That looks like it'll work out pretty cool, Jeff. Once it's all patched and painted, I'll look like the doors were intended to be a bed.

To tell you the truth I think this post has to facetts to it...the recycling of wood which is the project itself, with the second being posting ethics.

Myself I think recyling wood is always a great idea, and since it was you wifes idea, then heck, you had to do it anyway. :-) For what it is worth, I like the look.

As for posting, I think this new woodworking forum should be the kind of place that ANY woodworker, with ANY skill level, should feel good about posting pictures of their work. If WE can get a forum that allows that feeling of confidence...that is...a place that gets real constructive critizism, a place that is genteel, a place that has honest posts...then we will have a great forum. In fact I am confident WE can achieve that, and I look forward to it, and I am proud to be an early member here so WE can creat that.

Is everybody with me on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis S Johnson View Post

Is everybody with me on this?
    yup! well stated jeff, thanks, tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    yup! well stated jeff, thanks, tod
    I thought thats what this was all about.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Jeff,

I think it looks great, and fits right in with the Craftsman theme. Great idea!