and now it starts....

Dan Noren

Staff member
over the last couple of days i've been picking up the lumber for the upcoming projects. picked up the walnut, cherry, and hard maple for a dozen cutting boards, then the walnut and hard maple for six drunken cheese boards. next, i picked up the white oak for almost all of the smaller parts of the furniture, and today i picked up the white oak (rift sawn, and bookmatched) for the tops for the dining table, computer desk, display cabinet, and dresser. in the next couple of weeks (once the bonus is in), i'll be picking up the other 70 boards for the furniture parts.

Attachments

• big parts.jpg
    big parts.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
  • small parts.jpg
    small parts.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 41
Those would make a dandy farmhouse style table!

It's a bit far too transport though. I'm still kicking myself a little, there were two 30" wide 3" thick walnut slabs in the paper here for $200 ea that I passed up on. That could've been my new kitchen table (they were green though and the uncertainty of waiting for them to dry for several years scared me off.

picked up a few more small parts for the furniture project today. knocking down the next bite to a touch under $900. so far, in small parts, $68, big boards $410 (wide, long, and bookmatched for tops), total so far, $478.

Attachments

• more small parts.jpg
    more small parts.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 31
as all good things will, the process of obtaining the white oak has changed. instead of going to a closer guy, i'll be making a road trip to albert lea (a little over an hour's drive) to pick up the lumber. as with all good things, the price went up a bit too. oh well, gotta roll with it. sent out the down payment for the 350 bf of white oak today, rest will be turned over to them upon my picking it up. today i picked up the poplar for the signs. i scaled it back a bit to 24 signs, and picked up the paint for them at the borg, the usual red and green. i got a bit of a deal on the paint. i was going to pick up 4 quarts at $11, and the paint gal said i would do better with gallons at $12. $44 vs $24, not too brilliant at times, but i know a deal when i see one.

Attachments

• poplar boards.jpg
    poplar boards.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 21
  • paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 19
better get some more of that popcorn ready darren, today was a long day. out the door at 0730, picked up the cargo van, and on the road by 0800, stopped for breakfast, and made it to the lumber place around 11. the lumber order turned out to be 353 bft (3-10 inches wide and 102 inches long). loaded up, and headed out. stopped at the cabella's in owatona (really big place). my friends and i looked around for about an hour (picked up some percussion caps, and a shirt for my wife :blah:). got home around 4, unloaded, dropped off my friends, and returned the cargo van. took a nap, ate some soup, and hit the lumber pile to inventory, measure, and stack on the table (can't just leave it on the floor ya know, not with rain on the way). worked out to be 72 boards all told. in the pics, the odd 2 boards on the top of the stack are set aside for the bed rails. busy day, neh? one more board to pick up for the soup stirrer for friends of ours. now have to wait on things i cannot control, the weather, my brother (his car is in the garage), and my nephew (storing some of his furniture until they get a house).

Attachments

• lr1.jpg
    lr1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
  • lr2.jpg
    lr2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 17
  • lr3.jpg
    lr3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 18
got all of the little boards rendered down to their respective components for the dresser, display cabinet, bed, and pantry. also, a few leftovers that i know are hiding several picture frames, and other such things.

Attachments

• 001 start of rendered parts.jpg
    001 start of rendered parts.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 003 start of rendered parts.jpg
    003 start of rendered parts.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 002 start of rendered parts.jpg
    002 start of rendered parts.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 003 start of rendered parts.jpg
    003 start of rendered parts.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 005 start of rendered parts.jpg
    005 start of rendered parts.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 9
  • leftovers after cutting small parts.jpg
    leftovers after cutting small parts.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 11
we hauled the big boards over to the shop today, then sorted out the easy cut boards from the complicated cut boards. going back again later today, once the heat dies down a bit.

Attachments

• complicated cut boards.jpg
    complicated cut boards.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 10
  • easy cut boards.jpg
    easy cut boards.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 9
  • large boards moved to shop.jpg
    large boards moved to shop.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 9
once i got done with the drunken cutting boards, and cutting up some more colorful lumber for the end grain coasters, i got to working on the easy cut boards today, and got a few boards cut before calling it a day.

Attachments

• parts cut today.jpg
    parts cut today.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 14
  • rig for cross cutting.jpg
    rig for cross cutting.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 12