Time for another brew spoon

And a quick coat of walnut oil to finish it off. I'll probably do one more oil and polish pass before next weekend when the hopefully happy winner takes it home.

IMG_20160313_130723949.jpg

IMG_20160313_130405941.jpg

IMG_20160313_125555284.jpg

IMG_20160313_125536944.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160313_125702590.jpg
    IMG_20160313_125702590.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 11
That's the kind of a spoon that would be hung up as a trophy over the fireplace.

I mean sure, MAYBE do a token stir of the mash or wort just to season it, then it would be proudly displayed.

I really like the bowl design end very clever and well thought out.

That's kind of a hoot because that's the least planned part of the whole thing (not that the rest went exactly to plan, but it was closer). It does look more intentional than not but if you look close there are signs ;)

The little balls on the ends were an add-on when I decided that the ropes needed a termination point which is part of why the ropes get a bit thinner right before them. Otherwise I'd have laid those out closer to the middle of the board. The way the end of the bowl meets the ropes was also pretty much and evolved layout as I couldn't really picture them very well until I started carving on it.

Even though this part was "planned" I think if I was doing it over I'd have woven in another strand on the bowl end as well and ran the end of down the back of the center of the bowl, splaying it out to terminate it (at least I haven't come up with a better idea on how to terminate one there :D ). I believe that that would have added a bit of balance between the top and bottom and also strengthened that critical juncture around the bowl.

I'm also not entirely happy with the way the woven in strand on the handle finishes on the "bottom" (bowl) end - I kind of ran out of space because of earlier cuts and sub-optimal layout but I'd have liked to have had the tail of it poke through the back side of the braid, more like it does on the round hole at the top.

That's all 20:20 hindsight though, it is what it is and I just won't mention those things to the winner ;)

Ryan...That's an amazing and awesome piece of work...To me everything looks good.....I really like how you finished it up at the handle.....That will be a treasured possession for many years to come....Great job, burn your name in on the back of that spoon