Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Makeover – Progress: New Cabinets!

Shop Makeover – Progress: New Cabinets!

I don’t know how others feel about their work-spaces, but I do know what I need in a work-space. It is important to me that it is free from clutter and that it has a certain aesthetic appeal. My own current shop feels cramped, cluttered, cold and hard. It is the result of utilizing a space not designed as a workshop but as a garage. I had bought a bunch of tools and tried to make them fit the space without concern to how it looked and made me feel.

If I were to build a wood shop today, it would more like Jim Tolpin’s
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	94723

or Jamie Bacon’s.

Name:	DSCN1179.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	94722

These are spaces that I associate with woodworking. Of course, my idea of woodworking was that practiced by the farmer/woodworker of the 1700’s, so it is only natural that my ideal workshop would look similar to the spaces they used.
    Someday, when we move from here, I will build that ideal workshop, but in the meantime I have decided to put some effort in transforming my garage into more of a workshop. I have given myself until July to get it done. Actually my wife has given me until July. In a moment of weakness, I agreed to give her a corner of the garage for her pottery wheel. That corner is crammed full of “stuff” and requires that I shuffle things around. So July, that corner needs to be done.

I have decided that the only way to eat this elephant is one bite at a time, so here is the first wall. This is what it looked like years ago

Name:	Sawbench0003.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	94729

and then again what it looked like recently.

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	94724

This is what it looks like now. Complete except of some cove trim at each end of the pine paneling to cover the gaps. I spackled, sanded and repainted the walls. Painted some old cabinets and moved them on the wall. Covered the concrete walls, which I always hated, with wood paneling or painted plywood. I have tried to soften the hardness of the space and make it look…you know, nice. I need to cover the floor with something, probably a vinyl roll covering and/or mats. Better for my feet and hand tools.

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	94725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	94726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	94727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	94728

I will continue to post as I complete each section. I need to keep my nose to the grindstone or before I know it July will slip past and it will be Thanksgiving or something and I will be in the doghouse.
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 11-28-2016 at 12:46 AM.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

A project that hits very close to home, Bill. I'm looking forward to following along and borrowing some ideas. My own space has become as much a heated storage as a shop the past two winters, with little room to do anything (or enjoy it). That has to change.

Looking forward to follow along Bill did you reposition the cabinets? As I remember, they were full of hand tools.

I love watching shop's morph as we discover things that work or do not work for us. When I looked at the second pic in the bottom set of four I actually sighed with relief . . . and I wasn't even stressed. Looking forward to the next bite of the elephant.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Looks like you're a fair ways along the way already, at least you have a pretty good looking space you're starting from

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    I need to keep my nose to the grindstone or before I know it July will slip past and it will be Thanksgiving or something and I will be in the doghouse.
    Could happen

Thanks everyone, but it is only the start. The next wall requires building some built-in drawers and cabinets. It is going to take some time.

Tom, I salvaged the uppers but junked the lowers. Most all of my hand tools fit into my chest, I do have some woodies in boxes that will fit in the cabinets to the right. The smaller cabinet to the left will hold my handsaws.

Ryan, I was thinking that last line would be too subtle for most.
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Great looking start there Bill.

Is that English workbench designed to be used from the front only?

I've found so much more usability in my Roubo bench by having it approachable from all sides.

One thing that if I could turn back the clock I would do for sure is take the time to put down a wooden floor, man would that be sweet, but it is not going to happen in the Dungeon, no way I could take the time to do that. The next workshop will have wooden floors.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu

It is if you consider the location of the vise and the placement of the dog holes. That being said I have worked on it from all sides but 99% from the front. That is why I now prefer it against the wall. I can always move it. I am already liking the panel wall shelf to place my tools as I work.

Big yes on wood floors but not for this space. It still needs to be a garage for next owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually seeing the transformation makes one feel inspired to do woodworking, I can now understand where you're coming from. Nice job on the space, can't wait to see more.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That's a lot of outlets for a hand tool workspace!

Looks great though. I'm sure you will enjoy spending time there.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash