Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Makeover – Progress: Wood Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    That's a lot of outlets for a hand tool workspace!

Looks great though. I'm sure you will enjoy spending time there.
    I was thinking the same thing...on both points.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

In my view, shop space needs to take into account how much quality time you get to spend in it and what you intend to do in it.
    When its a home diy do all garage then its serving a multipurpose role and not all those roles or purposes are ..well frankly enjoyable or quality time spent.
    Working with hand tools in a calm well laid out organized environment is way more conducive to quality creative time and that's far more enjoyable than the battle in the chaos of the multi role multipurpose shop.
    To me the ideal is having a garage and a stand alone shop and separating the tasks to be done in the two even down to the tools and materials. But many cannot look to that luxury.
    I think a lot has to be considered as to what one wishes to do with ones time when one retires and do not have to split time between career ,kids, home diy/ maint and hobby/pastimes.
    A friend of mine is clearing out all his tools, in retirement he and his wife plan on traveling.
    That's completely opposite to my own outlook. But illustrates my point.

Bill only thing I would look at given you have mentioned selling in the medium term is how much capital and effort you put into your space that is not going to get you a bigger sticker price on the space. Save that money for your end shop. If the next guy is not a diyer and I would presume that you not selling them a fixer upper house then questionable as to how they would value the space in a home sale.
    Case in point my last shop I took incredible care to make got taken down and in my market did me no good in existing in the first place. I got my money out of it, but for the market could have put that time and effort into the basement and got a better return in the short term.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    That's a lot of outlets for a hand tool workspace!
    I admit it's pretty funny. I even had the thought that it looked kind of strange the other day, when I was admiring it. Then I thought, no will notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Working with hand tools in a calm well laid out organized environment is way more conducive to quality creative time and that's far more enjoyable than the battle in the chaos of the multi role multipurpose shop.
    Exactly! I am glad you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Bill only thing I would look at given you have mentioned selling in the medium term is how much capital and effort you put into your space that is not going to get you a bigger sticker price on the space. Save that money for your end shop. If the next guy is not a diyer and I would presume that you not selling them a fixer upper house then questionable as to how they would value the space in a home sale.
    The wife and I talked about this and we are in agreement that we are willing to spend some money now to enhance our environment for the next 4 to 5 years. Trust me, the money and effort I am spending is insignificant and especially considering what it is buying us. But I appreciate the point you are making.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    I admit it's pretty funny. I even had the thought that it looked kind of strange the other day, when I was admiring it. Then I thought, no will notice.
    Can always use a few extra lights

Well, after remarking to a co-worker how I have not been sick for over 6 years, one of people in my group brought the flu to work from her husband. Three of us went down hard with it and I brought it home to my wife. That was a little over three weeks ago, so little has been accomplished on the shop make-over. One thing I managed to do was make my own coving and install it where the paneling mated with the adjourning walls.

"Make your own coving. Why?", you may be asking. I admit, I could have run to Lowes and picked up some coving and be done in a half hour. But we don't have pine trim in this area of the country. If it is not hemlock, then it is oak. I just thought it would look too strange with hemlock and pine together. Besides, I have hollows and rounds and can make any type of moulding. Problem is I needed a 3/4 inch round and the one I had was an old plane, not in the best of shape and missing it's companion hollow. The sole needed reshaping and iron needed flattening and reshaping to fit the new sole shape. This ended up taking a lot more time and right in the middle of all this I get sick.

Not having a matching hollow, I had to create a hollow profile that I could then wrap with sand paper and use to reshape the sole of the round to the proper profile. I also took a slight curve out of the sole, so now it is flat. I reground the iron to fit the proper shape and sharpening it on my fine India stone and then my translucent Arkansas stone. Ended up being very sharp as evidenced by a faint blood stain on the round sole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	95137

Now the fun part. I cut some rabbets to eliminate the waste and to provide points that the round could rest on. After getting the profile, I then cut the waste away on the table saw.

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	95132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	95133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	95134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	95135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	95131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	95136

This is what it looks like with a close up of the right hand side. I think it looks nice.

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	95129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	95128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	95130
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Why make anything, because we can I say and it does look good

Looks good Bill, hopefully your starting to get over the blech's, I'm guessing it's the same stuff that was going around down here that put a bunch of folks I know out for a week or so. Nasty stuff.

Here are some more pictures, showing me making the cove on the left side of the bench. I couldn't help messing around and I profiled some small rabbets along with the cove. It all got ripped off on the table saw.

I forgot to mention that I also made a sticking board. That is kind of how all my projects go. I end going in so many tangents that it is not surprising it takes me so long to do everything.

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	95139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	95138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	95140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0968.jpg 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	95141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	95142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	95143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	95144

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Why make anything, because we can I say and it does look good
    Thanks Ryan and you are right. I like knowing I can make something that everyone else needs to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    [/A

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	95142
    I like that, very clean and crisp looking. Seems like you're getting the fundamentals down pretty good here. Those shavings look more than a little fun as well, lots of full length pealings there

Very nice job on the moulding. Just looking at that wall changes one's state of mind in inspiring and wanting to do some woodworking.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault