Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Band Saw Riser

Band Saw Riser

I have a Grizzly G0555X band saw. I am beginning to wish I had more resaw capabilities, i.e., height-wise. I have put off getting a riser block for it because I have quite a few nice blades for it now that will be become worthless to me if I change the saw. But, I also like scrolling the bark edge wood, which is normally not available in the thickness I want.

My question is, are this riser blocks good. I'd like to hear from people that have them on their saws, pros and cons.

Thanks.
    "We the People ......"

I bought a riser kit for my old 1hp Rockwell/Delta 14" from Iturra Design a couple of years ago and Larry helped me set it up on his summer tour. I also got a "Woodslicer" 5/8 resaw blade and use it just for that purpose now. I haven't used it much for the full 12" capacity, but if you take it to that limit with the hp I have, you'd need to be patient. I'm setting up a General 15" for finer curved work.
    The expanded saw works great. No regrets. A big resaw machine would be nice sometime, but it's way down the list.
    Last edited by Peter Rideout; 03-01-2016 at 06:11 PM.

I put a riser on my Shop Fox W1706 (pretty comparable to your G0555X) when I first bought it, but have used the extra capacity a lot. My saw only has a 1hp motor compared to your 1.5hp Grizzly, and it does fine as long as I use good blades and don't try to force the cut. Yes, you'll forfeit some of your existing blades, but you might be able to recoup some of your money by selling them here or on Craigslist.

And when you buy your new blades, I urge you to check out Ellis blades. As good or better than the "name brand" blades at less than half the price. You'd be wanting blades from the "Flexback" list here:

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Bla...ade-stock-list

And if you're slicing up logs for bark-edge scrolling blanks, I'd strongly suggest making a good sled to hold the logs. Cutting logs (and other round stock) can be tricky and dangerous on bandsaws.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ... And when you buy your new blades, I urge you to check out Ellis blades. As good or better than the "name brand" blades at less than half the price. You'd be wanting blades from the "Flexback" list ...
    I can't help you on the riser question, but I'll give a real big DITTO for Ellis blades. Call them, tell them what you want to do and they'll steer you in the right direction on blades.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Thanks for the input. Really thinking serious about it. I will wait a little while, I am one of those that gets it in my head I gotta have something, and them use it a couple times and move on, or after I order something I get good, stern advice why I shouldn't have. This usually comes via my wife,,,,,
    "We the People ......"

Paul, I have the Grizzly G0555X Band Saw with the risers installed. I've had them since day one. They work well. Saw will cut very well with the right blades. I have been using Ellis blades as others have mentioned. I've used 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Paul I have a delta 14" bs and it is a 1.5hp motor and shortly after getting it I put the riser on for same sort of reasons. Run all sizes of blades on it and no issues.
    Go for it life's too short and its not huge bucks really.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I put a riser on my Shop Fox W1706 (pretty comparable to your G0555X) when I first bought it, but have used the extra capacity a lot. My saw only has a 1hp motor compared to your 1.5hp Grizzly, and it does fine as long as I use good blades and don't try to force the cut. Yes, you'll forfeit some of your existing blades, but you might be able to recoup some of your money by selling them here or on Craigslist.

And when you buy your new blades, I urge you to check out Ellis blades. As good or better than the "name brand" blades at less than half the price. You'd be wanting blades from the "Flexback" list here:

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Bla...ade-stock-list

And if you're slicing up logs for bark-edge scrolling blanks, I'd strongly suggest making a good sled to hold the logs. Cutting logs (and other round stock) can be tricky and dangerous on bandsaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I can't help you on the riser question, but I'll give a real big DITTO for Ellis blades. Call them, tell them what you want to do and they'll steer you in the right direction on blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Paul, I have the Grizzly G0555X Band Saw with the risers installed. I've had them since day one. They work well. Saw will cut very well with the right blades. I have been using Ellis blades as others have mentioned. I've used 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Paul I have a delta 14" bs and it is a 1.5hp motor and shortly after getting it I put the riser on for same sort of reasons. Run all sizes of blades on it and no issues.
    Go for it life's too short and its not huge bucks really.

I'm with these fellers. I've got a delta I put a riser on day 1, ellis blades. I have never regretted the purchase even once in all the time I've owned it.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I put a Grizzly riser on my 14" Delta band saw... one of my smarter moves... The extra capacity has been a real boon on doing my bowl blanks.
    Biggest problem I've run into is the guide bar for the blade that holds the blade guides on the Grizzly riser was smaller in diameter than the original bar on the delta.... still it works well for me.

Haven't tried the Ellis blades yet, I buy most of mine from Packard Woods.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Haven't tried the Ellis blades yet
    So ironic...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash