Found 4 planes

william watts

Looking thru things stored in the backyard shed found these in a box. They belonged to my wifes 1st husband who past away years ago. He was a not a plane user, but he did some woodworking in the garage. A Stanley/Bailey #5 made in England; a Stanley/Bailey#4 made in the USA; a Millers Falls #17 USA block plane; and a Stanley 110 made in the USA.

20160301_112637.jpg

The #5 jack was lightly rusted and cleaned up very easily with steel wool and rubbing compound. Shined up really nice. Sharpend and adjusted and tried on popular

20160301_110147.jpg 20160301_110943.jpg

I am wondering how old this plane is? No. 5 and G12-005 appears on the casting, as well and made in england and stanley / Bailey. The handles are plastic. There's a lot of knowledge here.

This is the first Stanly plane I've tried and its fantastic, much better than the Record planes that I have used since the '90s. The smoother is really rusty I thinking of trying electrolysis on it. The 2 block planes should clean up ok. I not a Neanderthal, but use power and hand tools, this seems like the place to post this.

Bill

hyperkitten.com will help you date and type the plane.

I think the yellow paint indicates 50's - 60's but I could be wrong.

Very nice find. If you're interested in selling the #5 PM me.

Last edited:
Hi Robert.
Thanks for the tip about the hyper kitten site. It indicates the plane was made between 1948 and 1960. Some folks would say that's old, but they are newer than I am!

Sorry these planes are not for sale. I posted the pictures because I thought it a great find, and i was excited to find them. Unknown to me these planes had been rusting away for years in the storage shed. The post is not an attempt at stelth advertising, just a case of over exuberant posting:)

Bill

This gentleman, at Lumberjocks, suggests that the planes with the yellow background to the logo were type 21, made after 1968. I have one of these, a #4, but I won't be able to find it until I finish cleaning up my shed. It appears to be fairly new, as I recall. My 50s and 60s planes all have the reddish backed logo. Some, but not all of these planes were painted a dark red. I have a block plane in that colour. Oh, the adjusting knob behind the frog was nickel plated in some of these planes, too.

I have to say that #5 looks almost brand new. Perhaps a little cleanup but still that is a shiny fresh looking plane! The #110 is almost as good a shape to.

I've used planes in worse shape than the #4 as that sat, so it should be a pretty solid user with only a little work as well.

Nice little haul for just having to go to the shed :thumb:

I was looking directly at the plane and did not notice the yellow logo. It's a good thing this is not a court of law, and I am not a witness.

It will be awhile before the other planes receive any attention.

Bill