Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pricing differences

Pricing differences

This is non-woodworking but, it shows the kind of thing that really irks me and, it can be an alert to others.
    After re-arranging things in my office I needed a longer usb cable for my printer. Yeah, I know, new one have wireless technology, but this one works fine for me. Anyway, I went to Staples to pick one up and the associate there grabbed it off the display and told me it was $36.99. Instant anger!! I told him to put it away and Id find one online. Another associate, a cute little girl said wait, we price match. She went to their computer and brought up the same cable on Staples.Com for $6.99!! Really?? $30.00 difference?? They did the price match but that did remind me to always search for prices before going to a store.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Staples receipt 001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	94760

Man, that's quite a difference.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

My girls and their husbands do this with their phones constantly before going in and while in stores. It is the only time I find myself thinking a smart phone would be handy. But on the other hand, it is a big reason not to shop.

It is off the topic a little but these little tags so you can earn "rewards". What happened to just giving us the best price and let us decide? 30 dollars off. Doesn't that make you wonder how much you over paid the last time you went through the register line at that store?!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

It's almost like they just want you to shop online, right?

I generally get cables from http://www.monoprice.com/

Or just from Amazone prime.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pozzi View Post
    ? They did the price match but that did remind me to always search for prices before going to a store.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Staples receipt 001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	94760
    Well Yaaaaaaa! In today market. I look at 2 or 3 different sites before I order but by then I may not even want the idem LOL
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Well one of the big book stores has WiFi in their stores but won't match their own online prices and wonder why the sticks and bricks stores are having a hard time.. They let you price compare on their own dime but then won't match their own price....

Yep, we always check several online sites for pricing before buying anything. If you don't, then you deserve whatever you end up paying. I've heard a lot of people complain about pricing, then say, "I don't want to wait for XYZ Online Store to ship to me!" Well, then pay the price for whatever.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

LOL .. some folks are just born stupid...I have watched people on ebay, years ago, I don't do ebay anymore...just saying..lol...but I have seen people get into a bidding war on something and if you look it up, it has a buy it now price cheaper then what these idiots are bidding, not a little bit cheaper, but alot cheaper...I have to wonder why are these people still bidding, just go buy it already...jeez...do they not understand how to SEARCH...google is your friend...lol...I search the (you know what) out something before I even think about buying, somewhere..someone ..is selling it for less and free shipping, gotta get free shipping, that is where the savings is....

It seems that brick-and-mortor stores are trying to gouge the unknowing and unsuspecting as a last gasp before they disappear. I would prefer a different business model as I really enjoy actually going into the store and touching what I am going to buy. Experiences like that described make people NOT want to go back to a store losing them even more business. Its like businesses cutting services during lean times; just close, you're going to anyway if you don't provide the things that people go to your store for in the first place and you won't get such a bad rep.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    My girls and their husbands do this with their phones constantly before going in and while in stores. It is the only time I find myself thinking a smart phone would be handy. But on the other hand, it is a big reason not to shop.

It is off the topic a little but these little tags so you can earn "rewards". What happened to just giving us the best price and let us decide? 30 dollars off. Doesn't that make you wonder how much you over paid the last time you went through the register line at that store?!
    We were in a Food City Grocery store earlier this week.. just picking up a few items the wife needed... went into the check out line, gave the girl my "rewards' card and she proceeded to check us out... when the tape came out, she looked at it, circled a number and said, "You saved $20.39...Thank you for shopping at Food City."..... my reply was, "I didn't save anything, I just spent $122.95".... her stare was totally blank.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.