Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Deal with Snake problems

How to Deal with Snake problems

On a chicken forum I found this interesting way to deal with snakes.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/515899/best-way-ive-found-yet-to-deal-with-snake-problems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48473_snaketrap2_009.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	94775
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Seems simple enough or you could just get a pet mongoose....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Nice, and sturdy enough to stand up to the shot gun blast.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Nice, and sturdy enough to stand up to the shot gun blast.
    My thoughts exactly!! I see some beautiful pen blanks in those snake skins though. Guess you could drop the trap with snake in a water tanks and leave it for a while...... Works with skunks.
    "We the People ......"

Looks like a smart idea!

You could also just get a herd of guinea fowl which would handle the snakes on thier own, but then you'd have to deal with a herd of guinea fowl, might be easier to deal with the snakes.

With my luck, just as I went to pick up the minnow trap the snake would discover a way out.

Just had never heard of anyone doing anything like that before. Really not looking forward to someday opening up the nesting box lid and finding a rattler at face level.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Very interesting solution. Yes, copperheads do tend to congregate. A place about 20 miles from my house has copperheads by the THOUSANDS congregate under the same cedar tree at the same time in the fall. His mistake was to report this to the Game and Fish department people. They told him it would be illegal to kill them. If it were my place, I would have doused them with kerosene and burned them all then say nothing to anyone. I may try the trap thing. This reminds me, I found one in my shop a couple years ago. It was sitting on a shelf and I was reaching towards it. But fortunately, instinct kicked in and I stopped. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copperhead.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	94776
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

First I have to marvel at the fact that there is a chicken forum, I guess there is a forum for every subject possible.
    Ingenious idea as you say you don't want to have one at face level when lifting eggs.
    While I do not like snakes one bit, especially having lived with some of the most poisonous and deadly snakes in the world, I also think of the downside of not having them around. In your case what other predator is there that would adequately keep the rodent population under control.
    So I would be more inclined to do catch and release but release where?
    If you follow the point someone on that forum made of relocating them to do what they made for, then they for sure not close enough to do it to your benefit.
    Killing them also not.
    I also cannot help but think baited traps only serves to attract them even more than normal if I was to be baiting it would be away from coop so there is least connection.
    I tend to think along the lines of increasing their natural predator to bring back balance.
    Also aside from rattler in your face at egg collection time, effort put into prevention needs to be on a par to experienced loss rather than prevention for sake of it. The in your face thing would be the bigger issue of all to me. That comes back to can you engineer the coop such that eggs roll to a location where no snake can get to??? Not sure that's easy to do given egg has to enter where ever that will be and do so on its own.
    Interesting side effect of living where you are.
    Yup I guess I am back to bait and blast them out of existence and do the same for the rodent. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

My policy with snakes around here is to let the non poisonous ones do their thing around the outside of the house.

Poisonous ones that are near the house get relocated to a higher plane of existence. It's actually illegal to relocate them, although I know some people that do.

Away from the house and it's live and let live.

The rodents are waking up and it's time to get busy trapping them.

Did I mention I trapped a feral cat a while ago? We had him fixed and have been trying to tame him, but it's not going especially well. I'm going to build him a little outdoor house and pen and hopefully he will stay around the place and help take care of the rodents and other critters for us.

We have him in the guest bathroom and he's getting really used to 3 meals a day and being around us. He's just not showing any signs of ever becoming a cat that would be compatible with our other animals, or us for that matter. But I do like the idea of having him do critter patrol.

I only know of one way to deal with snakes. MOVE! I hate snakes.....Did I mention that I hate snakes? I hate snakes.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!