New old motor

Jeff Horton

Just got this in the Lab yesterday. This is going to be the coolest motor once I get it restored! It was originally on a 24" jointer of 1910-20 vintage. Probably a line shaft driven machine converted to electric motor. Specs on the motor are unknown other than it is three phase. Probably 5 to 7 HP range. No data plates at all. Just love the styling though!

100_8632.JPG 100_8633.JPG

It's sitting on a 8" concrete block so that gives you indication of the size. Big! And very heavy! I assume the frame is cast iron.

100_8635.JPG

I thought this was really neat. It has oil reservoirs and though it is hard to see, there are cast caps that swing up out of the way to fill the reservoirs and they have "OIL HERE" cast into them. Gosh I just love these old motors. A lot more character than any new Baldor. :thumb:

Jeff

Last edited:
It runs! Just needs new leads installed. These are in really bad shape. Jeff, the fellow that gave this to me said it has been sitting out in the weather for 10+ years now. When he offered it to me he connected the leads to his phaze ;) converter and said Dang, it doesn't work. Walked over to it and said to his surprise it was just sitting there humming away. :rofl:

As for you other question I think this will answer that. This afternoons project. Found babbitt bearings in there so can't tank it. Will have to clean them the hard way.

100_8639.jpg 100_8641.jpg 100_8643.jpg

I saw my bench move when I sat it up there! And it just looks huge on the bench too.

Jeff