DP Gloat - 17-950L on Base

glenn bradley

With all that's been going on in the shop this guy waited patiently for his new home. After my neighbors DP nearly took a spill on him I decided mine would need to be stable.

I'm not at the point of bolting stuff to the ground in my ongoing shop arrangement process. I'm a few generations along at being a Californian and don't even blink at most earthquakes that make the news. Just in case . . .

I built a ballast-like base about 20" x 24"

1 DP BASE MT.jpg

Dumped in about 90 lbs of redi-mix; wrapped up so as not to sneak out later.

2 DP Base Filling.jpg

Mount the base.

3 DP Metal Base.jpg

Still going . . . .

4 DP Post.jpg

And there we go.

5 DP Done.jpg

I hadn't planned on upgrading the DP for another year or so but the recent Lowes sale along with some bargaining by the LOML left me no choice. Good price, pretty nice DP compared to my "baby" Delta that I had planned on using for awhile.

Last edited:
Those Delta drill presses in that size range are a good value. I have a 17-965 and really like it.

My mobile base is about the same size with no ballast and it is stable so I would say that you have the SUPER STABLE model. My wife says that I am overkill on eveything so I should show her this. It is a good idea though as you will never have a stability problem with the way that you did it. Good Job!!!!:thumb:

Last edited:
Runout Update

I removed the taper and chuck. Careful inspection showed them to be clean. The taper had some marks on it right out of the oil paper that I thought looked pretty shoddy but I could not feel anything.

The marks of course were still there. Just to be scientific (yeah, right) I rotated the taper 180* after cleaning again (no residue on the cloth I used). I tapped it in and ran a test, run-out was greatly reduced.

My feeling is that rotating the taper should have had no effect so I'll attribute it to 'something' else. I also didn't "tap" the taper / chuck assembly quite so hard to seat it this time.

Drill holes with my forstners 1/4" up to 35mm; no problem. Who knows? Voodoo?