A Mortar and Pestle Set

Stuart Ablett

A while back..... OK, it was almost EIGHT YEARS ago..... :eek: I got a nice little box of Olive Wood from Toni, I've had it on my shelf and I've been looking for a project for it for a LONG time, I finally found it.

I've been really trying to eat better, and something that I realized our kitchen does not have is a Mortar and Pestle, sure I could just buy one, but when I doing some research about them I found that one of the woods used in making these is Olive wood..... wait a minute, I have a nice chunk of Olive wood sitting on my shelf down in the Dungeon....

IMG_0665.JPG

Yep, June 2008....

IMG_0666.JPG

A nice square chunk of Olive wood and another piece that will someday make a nice fat cigar pen!

IMG_0667.JPG

I put it on the lathe and I made the bottom just ever so slightly concave, and I also just took some of the corners off, so that the mortar will sit nicely on the counter with a ring of contact.
I also put my finish on the bottom while I could.

IMG_0668.JPG

I cheated and used a forstner bit to do most of the hollowing.

IMG_0669.JPG

I think it looks great! The bottom is almost flat, just slightly concave.

IMG_0670.JPG

There that is done.

Next up I made the pestle out of a piece of Beech I have, as it is a good strong wood.

IMG_0671.JPG

I think I'll call that done and see how it works!

Cheers!

PS Toni, sorry it took so very long to use this piece of wood that you so kindly gave me.

I hope you like what I did with it.

Cheers!

Nice. I have done many of those and sell a lot of them. The design is somewhat similar to some I have done as well, though your pestle is longer than what I usually do. Good looking work and wood.

Good job and beautiful use of a beautiful piece of wood. Like Dave I've made and sold a few of those... I've actually had a few people ask for them in my booth at the Farmer's Market... guess I need to put together a few more for this season....

This is the first or second one I've made, I think.... :huh:

I did not know if the pestle should be fatter or thinner, but if this does not work, I can make another pestle I guess.

It seemed to work fine crushing pepper corns and ginger root.

Cheers!

Well Stu... Good things take their time to come to light, so I am happy that to see that the wait has been worthwhile and that the result is so striking, I almost had forgotten about it. Geez EIGHT years! it seems it was yesterday that I joined the forum thanks to you! Do you remember?

Well Stu... Good things take their time to come to light, so I am happy that to see that the wait has been worthwhile and that the result is so striking, I almost had forgotten about it. Geez EIGHT years! it seems it was yesterday that I joined the forum thanks to you! Do you remember?

Please do tell the story :)