SSQ Sunday SketchUp Quiz

Dave Richards

I thought I'd turn the tables a little and see if someone can answer a SketchUp question that I pose. The idea is to get those of you who use SketchUp to stretch your thinking a bit. If this is well received and if I can think of more of these, I'll post them on Sundays and the threads will start with "SSQ"

If you've read even a little of my blather you know that I stress file size control. Keeping file size down improves the way your computer performs. The geometry, textures and shadows in a model all have to be handled by you machine's graphics card. The more data the card has to handle the slower it runs.

So, with that in mind here are two copies of the same geometry. This is an aluminum extrusion I imported as a CAD file. My question is, how did I manage to cut the entitiy count in the left hand copy to less than 26% of the one on the right?

EntityQuiz.jpg

Are you kidding me? So far I have learned what the drawing thing is, what the turn around thing is, what the push pull thing is and what the hand thing is. I am exhausted and need four Excedrin and some rest.

I'm not sure I can describe the process used, but I'm pretty sure your end result was to cut down on the number of facets on all those round corners and radii. Now ... how you did that without clicking and deleting each one, I have no idear!

Edit: My biggest hint was the coloring difference on that circular hole down the center. The one on the left looks like it's shaded using fewer facets. :)

Allen, you are already on your way to being an expert. Keep working at it and let me know what I can do to help.

Jason, I like your thinking and reducing the number of segments used to make arcs is a good way to help control file size. In this case however, your guess is incorrect. I didn't change the number of segments used to create any of the arcs. Good eye, though. You did spot probably the only clue I left for what I did. ;)

A couple of additional clues if you look close. :D

I tried to look closer, but when I click on the image and try to drag/rotate it, nothing happens...:huh:

(I would have guessed at arcs also. I also would have guessed that the automatic cleanups -- removing unused components -- wouldn't count either.

Got me stumped, Dave. Jason's idea was along the lines of what I was thinking about, but I see that's not it. :dunno:
I tried to look closer, but when I click on the image and try to drag/rotate it, nothing happens...:huh:
Do you find yourself trying to rotate pictures on web sites after a SketchUp session? Happens to me all the time. :doh:

I was hoping for more guesses by now. Well here's the answer.

I divided the profile first into quarters and then into eighths. I made those chunks into components and then copied them as needed.The common edges were hidden using Shift and the Eraser tool. Since these element is a component, it doesn't increase the file size as it would if the entire extrusion were made as a single component. The added benefit here is that if you were drawing the element by hand, you'd only have to draw an eighth or quarter of the whole instead of drawing the whole thing. this would save you time.

EntityQuiz_c.jpg

Ahh, if i hadn't been away, i would ahve put that guess forth after your 2nd hint ... The division was obvious once I saw those faint little lines ... After you'd replied to my first guest, my next thought was to remove redundancy as much as possible so I looked for repeated patterns...

I'd just missed out this time, but I sleep well knowing that I would have guessed right ... that's my story and i'm stickin' to it!!! :rofl:

Wow, I didn't realize that "componenting" things like that reduced the file size. Definitely another trick to file away in the cobweb in my head. ;)

Hey wait a minute. I just got back from a trip to the country. I want to play too. :D I'm going back and look at the examples and then I'll guess, okay?:D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Shaz

Sorry, Shaz. I didn't mean to leave you out. Next Sunday I won't give the answer until the following Wednesday. Or maybe I'll wait until the following Sunday. :D

Sorry, Shaz. I didn't mean to leave you out. Next Sunday I won't give the answer until the following Wednesday. Or maybe I'll wait until the following Sunday. :D
Hey there Dave, This is a great tool for learning and broadening one's horizon and your using this method is very creative. You did right ( I think) by posting, responding and revealing within a time frame where folks could guess, respond think again and realize.... "CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR!":rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .
This was a good one...I'll get it next Sunday even if I have to guess this week's puzzle ...next week.:D
Thanks,
Shaz

Last edited:
thanks dave, great idea

this is an ecellnent idea dave and i was on track with the less radis, and shading as well and the copying of a part and relocating it is similar to what i do at work, the puter only has to rember one part and just redraws it or sends it to postscript..but i wasnt here to take the test but look forward to the next quiz to learn some more.. and if you dint get my reply on the dovetail vidieo that was one excellnt show.. thanks for all your help to us here at he forum:thumb: