Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growing veg

Growing veg

Anyone planning on growing vegetables this season?

Linda and I decided to give it a go and after consulting my agricultural adviser out in Nova Scotia we even going to try staggering them.

According to info I have found our last frost is around May 7 - 12 this year I think that may be true for most years but this year I wonder given our mild winter.

Anyhow I picked up a bunch of seed and small seed trays from LV and those seed starter pucks from HD and Linda did the admin on working out when we plant what and today we got the range of herbs planted and some corn and tomatoes.
    What we trying to do is only plant sufficient for our needs so here's to hoping we get a decent bit of luck in germination.
    Then I got some woodwork to do making us some standing height beds.

We going to try out planting them in square foot format when time comes to put them outside.

Going to try keep records of it all so we know what worked and what did not to decide end of year if we bother for next year.

Not really doing it for any major savings more just to have a shared activity and our own produce.
    Last time I did this was in the army in the bush. But that was in a country where sunshine was abundant all year round. It was water that was in short supply lol.

So anyone else give it a go or am I crazy???
    cheers

Rob, I grow my own tomatoes and peppers every spring and fall. I use raised beds with some top soil I brought in as I am in a very rocky area. My raised beds are made from landscape timbers 4 high. In the beds I mix wood shavings, peat, sand and topsoil. Works good for me. I do the same thing on a big mound that I plant cantaloupes in. I love good sweet juicy cantaloupes. Good luck with your endeavors.

I'm itching to get out there and get the garden started! I say go for it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've had my cantaloupe seeds in for a month. Starting to sprout. I won't get any tomatoes or peppers in for a few more days. Think I will wait until this next round of rain is done before I get them in. I missed the onion deadline this year for some reason or the other. Normally grow reds and 1015's. Can't win them all. Sometimes I grow lettuce as well. I need to build another raised bed or two. Grow more goodies that way.

I've got kale, collards and lettuce overwintering in low tunnels. Just planted lettuce and radishes today and will get some spinach and swiss chard in the ground tomorrow. I use raised beds and have been building soil with compost and worms for the last ten years. I have 2 three tray light tables, but am just going to buy sets this year.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 03-13-2016 at 04:23 AM.

We have a 20 x 40 plot in the yard that we've used as a garden for the last 8 or 9 years... Dianne's back won't allow her to get out there and do anything the garden and I'm not enthused about doing it myself, but I sure like the tomatoes and peppers we get... we tried corn last year, but too much rain and what we did get, the raccoons harvested for us... didn't share a single ear though... may do some squash again this year... last year we had a pretty good crop of yellow crook necks, golden zucchini's and regular zucchinis... we do have a time with the squash bugs here though.. last year Dianne heard about using diatomaceous earth on plants and that worked pretty good.

The plot is divided in half by a row of irises and think one half I'm going to turn into a flower bed and just a few plants in the other half. We do have 4 8x4 raised beds up closer to the house, build from landscape timbers... one bed is all asparagus, another is herbs and the other we put cherry or grape tomatoes in and some dill... need to clean them out next week and get them ready for planting.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I've had a little plastic green house in the garage for a couple of years now. Was planning to have the grandson help me get them started this spring, would be a good lesson for him.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I usta, but the last 10 years or so, not so much.

I love the nice baby cukes and squashes.

Nothing beats a warm fresh tomatoe straight from the garden.

Several years ago we were planting 25x50ft garden then down to 1/2 of that then last year 4x24 ft. This year maybe 3 tomatoes and 2 peppers. We just don't need the produce from larger garden plots. You can only give so much away and canning can get overdone. Besides leaves more shop time or goofing off time. Still enjoy the garden fresh produce.
    David

looks like I got out of starting the garden this weekend... it rained and now it's too wet to plow...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.