Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And The Winner Is.......

And The Winner Is.......

I know I've bragged about my little darling here before, but she raised her bar to new heights yesterday, and sometimes a proud papa can't resist. Tessa is a 16 YO junior and competed in the Rochester Philharmonic League's 2016 Young Artist Auditions held at the Eastman School of Music's Kilbourne Hall. It attracts the top talent for 11th and 12th grade high school students from the nine county Greater Rochester Area, and $4500 total is awarded to top contestants in several music classifications....string, woodwind, piano, voice, etc. She sang 3 classical pieces on two occasions in front of two different panels of judges that were selected by the RPL ....7 very well regarded vocal judges in all. By noon she was the unanimous recipient of the Tessa Martin award for top female vocalist of the competition, and received a $500 check. That award made her eligible to compete as a finalist for scholarship awards. Later in the day she also won the Jan De Gaetani award for top overall vocalist of the competition, along with a $1000 scholarship. Couldn't have hoped for any better outcome than that! At the beginning of the day I wondered if we even belonged there the end of the day, there was no doubt! A couple of notable contestants she beat out were last year's Tessa Martin Award winner from 2015, and another senior vocal student who's been accepted at Carnegie Melon, Eastman School of Music, Syracuse University, and Ithaca College for Vocal Performance. She even received applause from the afternoon judging panel when she finished. What an amazing day!

Due in large part to the Eastman School of Music, the Rochester Philharmonic is a disproportionately talented organization for a city of this size, which in turn trickles down through just about every surrounding county in the area. Our schools are loaded with teachers who are Eastman grads, kids of Eastman grads, grand children of Eastman grads, etc....the music scene is huge in this town. This was really an honor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12819474_1271680932860873_2134725737186416717_o.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	94904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JanDGaward.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	94905

As a followup to the original post, the attention from this award hasn't quite died down for us yet. Tess ended up on the RPO website, RPO Facebook page, Greece School District website and Facebook page, the Greece Post, on the cover of the June issue of GreeceNewsNY as part of a 2 page story. With each new news release, she gets another round of calls and accolades from friends, acquaintances, and family. She was invited to meet and work with some of the Eastman professors a few weeks ago, and will be performing in a recital at the Eastman's new Hatch Hall in July as a result of her awards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	greecenews.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	96092

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i-gGwZxp6-X2.jpg  
    Last edited by scott spencer; 06-04-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    Got Wood?

North West Indiana
    Scott, you have all the rights in the world to be proud! Congratulations to all involved in helping her become successful and congrats to her for putting in the effort and time to be successful!!!!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Hey there Scott, if you don't brag about your baby, who will? You have every right to be proud! Let the bragging begin!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Yorktown, Virginia
    I'd be bragging too. Congratulations to Tessa and her supporters.

Way cool. Congratulations to everyone!!!!!!! Love to hear success stories.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    That's wonderful! Congratulatulations to her.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

S E Washington State
    That is awesome! Congrats to all! Don't suppose, maybe you have a little video you could post.......?
    "We the People ......"

Kansas City, Missouri
    That is something to brag about, way to go!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

GTA Ontario Canada
    Can only agree with what everyone else said brag on. Its great to hear news like this.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Los Angeles, CA
    These days, with too much emphasis on science and technology, parents often overlook arts and performance arts in their child's education. Wonderful to see that this has not been the case here.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.