Sigh.....

Stuart Ablett

Sigh....

I'm sure that many of you turners especially will understand this one.

I've been putting some old bowl blanks to the gouge of late, finally finish turning them, my wife the other day remarked that she would really like "a large salad bowl size", I had one largish blank so I got to work. I gave it to her with some chocolate for "White Day" yesterday (google it).

Her reactions was "Great, I can give this to my friend for her birthday"...... I was like "You don't want it for yourself?"

"Nope", she said, "this will be a great gift for her friend, and I already have enough of your bowls".....

I'm still clamming this as a win....

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

The bowl is Shii tree wood and is about 26cm or 10-1/4" in diameter.

It's one of the reasons I like to sell stuff. I get to make more. It used to hurt to not keep everything I make, well it still does sometimes, but then, I get to make more and I don't need to fill everyone's house with stuff I made.

It's a beautiful Bowl.

Glad someone is gonna love it.

Nice job on the bowl, Stu. :thumb:

My wife's been pretty good about not giving away my turned stuff, and especially anything that I turned specifically for her. But of course there are a few pieces that I made to sell that she latched onto before they even made it out of the house. ;)

Nice job on the bowl, Stu. :thumb:

My wife's been pretty good about not giving away my turned stuff, and especially anything that I turned specifically for her. But of course there are a few pieces that I made to sell that she latched onto before they even made it out of the house. ;)

Yeah you see that never happens, I think it is part of her upbringing as a merchant, she looks at my bowls and sees something that can be sold, a product first.

In this case it is money she does not have to spend to get her friend a nice present, so it is a bonus.
That sounds a bit harsh, I know, but it is one of the things I love about her, she can be very practical.

Just the once I would love for her to see one of my pieces and grab it and announce "This one is mine!" but I doubt that will ever happen.

Cheers!

There are two important events in a married wood turner's life. The first is when your wife lets you bring your turnings into the house and willingly displays them for others to see. This means she thinks your work is good enough to share with others.

The second is when your wife is willing to give your turnings to her friends. This means she is proud of your work and willing to brag about it.

Both of these events signify carte blanche approval and reduce her reluctance to disapprove of new tool and wood purchases.

What a nice bowl and what a nice way for your wife to tell you she likes your wooden art.

There are two important events in a married wood turner's life. The first is when your wife lets you bring your turnings into the house and willingly displays them for others to see. This means she thinks your work is good enough to share with others.

The second is when your wife is willing to give your turnings to her friends. This means she is proud of your work and willing to brag about it.

Both of these events signify carte blanche approval and reduce her reluctance to disapprove of new tool and wood purchases.

What a nice bowl and what a nice way for your wife to tell you she likes your wooden art.

Well said Mike, thanks :)