Has Sketchup Changed dramatically since 2011 or is it just me leaking out my brains

Rob Keeble

Can anyone tell me if there has been significant change to Sketchup since the 2011 version.

I just cleaned up my machine, deleted my version of 2011 sketchup and then downloaded and installed 2016.

But either i am getting more stupid by the day and forgetful or they changed a few things and i have to start over again with learning.

All i tried to do is download a model from 3D warehouse and then try using the "move" command to position the model on the origin.

Spent half an hour trying and then i gave up.

I never had this issue before so wondering if something has changed or not with the move feature.

Dunno something that gets to me is making changes for sake of changes. At least a pencil and paper are still the same so i guess i go back to the good old tried and proven method.

I am trying to use a model from warehouse to have a quick start at the project i am trying to draw which is a saw horse except this time i plan on having the saw horse top adjustable so as to cater for uneven surfaces.

Plan on making sawhorses to hold my raised veg boxes and stand them on the grass out back. The surface is sloped so i got to make the things stable and adjustable.

I don't think it's changed. Was the downloaded item grouped? Usually they are from the warehouse, and sometimes they contain objects that are a long way away from the item you're wanting to move on the scene. I'll typically double click to work on the grouped items and delete all but the object I'm wanting to move. That gets the group down to a size that only encompasses the object I'm wanting.

Post a link to the warehouse item and I'll see if I can help. :wave:

Thanks Darren did not look like anything funny in the item.

Here is the link
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ccb72e70e9487bc1acd2b3b1483d9b26

I like this as a start to what i am wanting to do (my estimate is when i put a planter box on top its going to weigh around 400lbs when full of damp soil and thats excluding the wooden frame so at least 450 plus pounds).

Going to try modify the plan to cater for a top that can be raised and lowered something like this idea on these ikea tables

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49047237/

Part of me is thinking it might be easier to just buy this table from idea and use it as a base to make my flower boxes. But thats for folks that dont have tools or like doing things with their hands and making saw dust. Who wants the easy way out. :rofl:

My bad sorry for wasting your time. I just downloaded the model a different way and opened it with sketchup and no issues it was placed at origin. Live and learn.

Thanks for the help offer. Much appreciated.:thumb:

Hi Rob. Late to the party I'm afraid.

I searched the 3D Warehouse via SketchUp 2016's direct link and was able to download and insert this saw horse with no trouble. It's kind of oddly made with section cuts that don't make any sense and hidden geometry. Not very efficiently made, either. When I downloaded it from the Warehouse, I had hold of it by the bottom corner of the leg which was easily placed at the origin, though.

FWIW, you don't need to uninstall older versions of SketchUp before installing a newer one. They install as separate programs. In fact even if you did want to eliminate the older version, it's best to hold off until you get the new version installed.

I guess you have your problem solved, though. Good, good.

I dunno talk about how to complicate things. :eek:

planter saw horse config.jpg

My plan for the planter is to have a frame that folds away like a door with wire mesh on the sides. I have to cover it we got way too many critters at this property. And tomatoes and corn need height.
So it will have 4 doors open either side.

Corn and tomatoes will be in center. Smaller stuff either side so they don't block sunlight. But man corn i have seen is at least 6 ft. Dunno maybe corn is going to get the axe.

I think a .22 is a better idea and eliminate the squirrels but my neighbors would have me in a second.

Squirrels already had a fight with me that had me shooting at them with pellets. They incredibly nibble managed to get to the bird feeder bell i hung off an extended umbrella stand hook. Only thing is pellet handgun don't do a good job on accuracy at least not in my hands.

Thanks Dave no worries sorry i just saw your post after i posted this. The thing with sketchup is one has to keep using it. like all things no practice dont make you get better. Some came back to me as i started working with it. Good enough for what i am trying to do.

Last edited:
Good luck with the squirrel war, Rob. :D

How much corn are you planning to plant? Maybe stick with tomatoes and carrots. My wife plants carrots in a 6 in. deep square foot gardening box I made. They don't get huge but they taste good.

Interesting about the squirrel. I just yesterday opened the bathroom window took of the screen and took a pot shot at a mole working in the flower bed. Problem was I had a scope on and was less than 8 feet away. Missed by an inch or so. Set a trap and had one of them today. When I get moved to town in Ohio I guess the 22 won't be an option for varmint control...:doh:

Been trying to trap the sucker for a couple of weeks. That made two I have caught this week...

Garry