All Is Well in My Little World

Dave Hoskins

As some know I live on 35 acres. So, I have a lot of wild critters. A lot of the hang around because I feed them. This includes a herd of deer, squirrels, wild turkeys, and black bellied whistling ducks on occasion. The occasion being when they decide to take advantage of the corn and water laid out mainly for the deer. The wild turkey hen that hangs around from spring until fall has returned as of yesterday. It's just fun to watch her walk around and doing what turkeys do. I call her Gertrude because she just looks like a Gertrude. She is joined once in a while by another hen I named Mildred. Gertrude is not the most photogenic critter and neither are the ducks. So forgive the somewhat lousy photos. The one with all the bucks looking at you has the ducks at their feet. The other is obviously Gertrude.

Sorry, Paul. Them's not rabbits. They're wabbits as Elmer Fudd would say. Yeah, I got lots of them. Land is getting higher and higher here as well. Somebody told me that no more land is being made so what there is left is sold at a premium now.

The deer are absolutely amazing. I started feeding them and having water out there for them about 6 years ago when the drought in Texas was real bad. I kept seeing the deer looking for something to eat and drink and they were real scraggly looking. So I took to feeding them and keeping water out there. Since then they are become healthy and fairly grateful. Most of them don't really care what I am doing outside unless I fire up the mower or tractor and the like. If I don't have some corn out for them first thing in the morning they stay in the trees waiting for me to come out. I don't try and get them eating out of my hand because with a buck that could be dangerous. I just enjoy my critters.