Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conover lathe

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Conover lathe

During lunch today I stopped by a woodworking store to look a joiners and they had this lathe in the used equiptment. It was made by Conover, out of Ohio. Its got a 16" swing and a 72" bed.

Attachment 843Attachment 844Attachment 845

I had to share this with you all.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-17-2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: To correct the name of the lathe builder
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Was it actually sold in that configuration originally, or was it a "kit": headstock, tailstock, DIY bed/stand/motor?

The "1" on the front end of that price seems, um...optimistic. Am I missing something?
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Lee the stand was part of the original package. The book laying on the lathe bed show the price breakdown. The lathe originally sold for over $3000 with the optional $695 for the bed and stand.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That's a cool-looking piece of equipment, Don. I'm with Lee...$1,500 sure seems like a lot of money, unless that bed is wood-grained titanium or something.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Good looking lathe there Don.
    You better go back with your truck and snag that bugger

Which reminds me. I need to run up north and bring my 8' vega with copy attachment home one of these days [stealth gloat ]

Hi Don,

I believe that is the Conover lathe. Made in Ohio. If you Google Ernie Conover you will get a ton of hits on it.

Best wishes,
    Dave

Thanks David,
    Thats why I couldn't find anything when I googles the name.

That's a handsome piece of equipment. Anyone know the Horsepower?

If my memory servers me correctly, you could only buy the Conover "kit" which included head and tail stocks, tool rest, etc. In the late 60-70's I seem to recall that the kit sold for around $3K and you supplied your own motor. You have to remember that in the USA turning was a very small niche market in those days. Just shows how much better and cheaper tools have gotten over time...

This one had a 2 hp motor on it.